2 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

What do you guys think of Carbon Express arrows? I bought 6 new Carbon Express CX 2219 20" Aluminum Hunting arrows for my Horton XL 175. I've read that the aluminum ones, when fired from a crossbow anyhow, tend to fly better than the carbons. Also, I've heard that the carbons can shatter on firing because the nocks can get pushed up inside the shaft. You have to inspect each arrow constantly just to be safe. Anyways, I'll be using Muzzy 125gr fixed blades on them but my next set will be Slick Tricks. I've heard a lot of good feedback on them from other crossbow hunters and verticle bow hunters as well.

Edited by Spirithawk, 15 August 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Been shooting carbon bolts for a lot of years and have only ever seen one break. I've never seen a nock get pushed into the shaft. Sounds like either hype to sell some aluminum bolts or fear-mongering from the same group that always wants to talk about carbon arrows through the hand out of compound bows. (Overlooking that wooden and even aluminum arrows break probably just as often, possibly more often.)

Any carbon projectile should be flexed before shot for safety. (The same as any aluminum should be checked for creases or a bend and wood and fiberglass should be checked for cracks or splinters.) If there is anything structurally unsound you will either see "splinters" raise up or hear "cracking" or "grinding" sounds during a flex. It takes 5 seconds and, generally, if you don't hear anything then you are good to go.

In my experience, carbon projectiles are more durable than aluminum and do not take on a bend or crease like aluminum. Most every aluminum arrow I have shot into or through a deer was ruined by either breaking off or bending. I have carbons that have been through more than one animal that are still in my quiver.

I say all of that to say this... Shoot what you like. Fear is not a worthy factor. (Especially with a crossbow as the shooter's arm is not openly exposed to the potential flight path of a failed bolt upon release as with a longbow, recurve, or compound bow shooter.)

As to CX bolts... I haven't shot any of their aluminum products. But, dad has had both the carbon Surge and Crossbolts. I really like the Surge as they are virtually identical to an aluminum 2219 bolt with respect to outside diameter and weight. (By contrast, the Crossbolts are lighter.) This is important if your crossbow has a multi-line or multi-dot scope with spacing that was designed for shooting with heavier (generally aluminum) bolts. The Surge will still fly virtually the same.

All told you should do well. Then, when you've got those ones all pretty well bent up you can check out the Surge if you like. ;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

Thanks Jerimiah. I don't think the nock problem applies to longbow shooting. It seems it happened with a 175lb crossbow after carbon arrows were fired a few times in practice. I read on a crossbow forum where a guy quit using carbons because he had a few shatter on the bow litteraly in his face upon firing. The force of the string pushed the nocks several inches into the shaft. e said these were early carbons though so I'm sure theve've improved some. It seems a lot of guys worry about a broken, or shattered, shaft leaving carbon fibers insde the meat of a deer. I don't much care for the idea of that. I'll probably try both as I have a couple carbons, that came with the bow, and see which I like. What I have now are the Crossbolts and a couple Horton Carbon Strikes. My bow has the Horton scope which has the five line reticle. I've never used such a scope so practice will be a learning experience.:D

Edited by Spirithawk, 16 August 2010 - 12:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users