Tick Control...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

I have been using Permethrin-based products for a few years now to control (kill) ticks in the spring gobbler season. The past couple years, however, it seems as though the ticks in some of the areas I hunt are also becoming troublesome in the first few weeks of fall archery season as well. (Basically, until the first good frost... Which sometimes doesn't happen until three or four weeks into hunting. :doh2: )

The beauty of Permethrin-based products is that they are generally odorless once dry. So, they still do quite nicely for white-tail hunting. Unfortunately, there are two problems I find with Permethrin-based products.
1) They're somewhat expensive.
2) I can't always hang my clothing outside to apply the spray. This leaves me to do it in my basement and this stuff is not to be taken lightly. (Though FDA approved and supposedly safe to humans once dry, it is still a known neurotoxin that I would rather not breathe in at all.)

So, I have a couple questions...
1) Has anyone ever bought concentrated Permethrin, say from a lawn and garden center, and mixed it with water as directed, poured it into a spray bottle, and then applied it to hunting clothing?
2) Has anyone found an easier or safer way to apply the product than hanging garments and spraying them down completely? (I read a suggestion of spraying the Permethrin into a large bag and then quickly inserting the clothing and sealing the bag up overnight. Anyone try such a thing? Was it effective?)

Thanks for any information. Please feel free to share any useful information concerning keeping ticks away or what you, personally, do when you find one attached after a day afield. I hear more and more of my friends being diagnosed with Lyme disease. Let's put our heads together and squash some bugs. (Arachnids, actually. Even worse than bugs! LOL)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

I hunt tick ridden Kansas and equally tick ridden PA. I look at the $6.00 a can from walmart as cheap insurance from being bitten and having to go to the Dr and then through the antibiotic regimen. I can usually get two + applications from each can and that application can last a week. If it is raining I just open the garage door and hang the garment from same and spray them. I do this the day before I use them to hunt with to allow them time to dry.
When I decide what I am wearing needs washed I usually put them in a plastic garbage bag and use a stronger tick killer spray in the bag and seal it till wash day. This helps insure that my wife does not have to handle clothes that may possibly contain a live tick.
Where I have found my biggest problem with ticks is when field dressing a deer and then skinning the animal. Deer are real tick magnets and you can see them crawling off a dead deer by the dozens.

Man I hate those little blood suckers.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

The most effective stuff I've used is Permanone. Yes it contains Permitherin but it also contains additional ingredients that dramatically boost it's effectiveness over other permitherin sprays.
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

Yes Leo that is what I use too. I have some tick spray for use around a dog pen that really kills those little buggers and that is what I use in the garbage bag for my dirty clothes. One spot that Eric and I hunt is so thick with ticks you can see them on the ends of leaves and weeds just waiting for a passerby. I plan on spraying a cotton ball and put it in a film container to kill those I see and collect as they are very hard to kill otherwise. My personal best is I believe 27 on one walk. Eric always kidded me that I could see a tiny tick on a weed but couldn't see a turkey in a tree or a deer on the ground.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users