5 replies to this topic

#1 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

may have a chance to take some geese with a bow. Local cemetery wants them remove this season. anyone ever tried to hunt geese with a bow? I told him I was willing to try once goose season opened but not before. The cemetery is in town so shotgun is out. Should I use compound or crossbow? I have both.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

I would personally try the crossbow. You are looking at resident geese I presume but they are still wild and will certainly spook at movement and you would have less movement with the crossbow.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hmmm setting up a pop up blind in the cemetery might be the way to go and either one would be good, longer shots I would prefer the compound, but for short shots I would go with the crossbow.... it just depends on the shots you are planning on having.... 10-35yds I'd say crossbow, anything over 35 I would go with the compound because the shorter lighter bolts are gonna lose more kinetic energy at the longer yardages. But that's just my opinion... that and $1.25 might get you a cup of coffee LOL
Semper Fi

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

If you can get close go for the head shot. It's a swing and miss or it's home run but the bird isn't flying off with an arrow stuck in it for the local news to beat up hunting these pests. I have some resident flocks here around the office buildings and they are pretty easy to get with in 20 yards especially when the young birds have not flown any distances yet with the flock. You might try baiting them to one side of the cemetary so you can do a blind. The birds I have been around here seem to remember from day to day. We try to drive them away from the front walks and drive so they don't crap up the place.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

well according to the hunting regs it has to be compound or recurve. So that settles that. Early season opens sept 1 with a daily limit of 4.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

well according to the hunting regs it has to be compound or recurve. So that settles that. Early season opens sept 1 with a daily limit of 4.

Go for it Frank.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users