New Toy...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Well, it's not a Benelli... It's a Stoeger STF 3000.

I've wanted an over/under for trap/skeet/sporting clays for a while.
Well, that desire was fulfilled in winning this on a local sportsman's club raffle ticket.

Posted Image

I can't wait to actually run some shells through it.

P.S. Hey, Phil, I guess this means dad will get his old Sears & Roebuck side by side back. :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Jerry Winland

Jerry Winland

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

Very nice Jer, I got one for x-mas 2 years ago 12ga....love it...has very little kick too.....congrats...
Jerry

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Congrats Jerimiah. SWEETTTT! I hope it brings you lots of pleasure my friend. :D

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

Nice looking shotgun congrats on the win.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

Well, the bad thus far is that the break action on this thing is quite stiff. In fact, the fit of the action, in general, isn't the greatest. It really needs to be completely disassembled, cleaned, and re-lubed with something like CLP before doing anything. (It wouldn't surprise me it the goo that is in the gun from the factory that they apparently try to pass off as lube is 90% of the problem.) I think with that done it should be okay. I've already been warned to shoot a couple boxes of heavy game loads through it out of the gate to get things broken in before even trying to take it to shoot with light loads.

We'll see! Can't beat the price no matter what. :D

sig_admin.png

#6 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Nice gun Jer, congrats!

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

Congrats. I'd say between you and your father you two are fairly lucky this past year when it comes to winning rifles. ;)

I have probably entered a dozen of those types of rafles and I'm still waiting for my number to be called. :rofl:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

I got the paperwork on the gun done today at the store that supplied it for the raffle. So, I'm now officially the owner.

I really like it a lot and believe it will serve me well. But, man, I've got to tell you I think I'm going to have to take my Dremel with just a buffing wheel and some polishing compound to the pivot points of the break on this gun. It is just that stiff even after a cleaning and Break-Free CLP bath. I realize that I am no longer "larger than life", but I am far from a weakling. Yet, it takes everything I have to close or break this gun open. It's so stiff that half the time it doesn't even open all of the way for the shell ejectors to work. I spent a little time with some snap caps today just trying to break some things in as well as test the ejectors. (Gun has to be fire, or a simulated firing like with the snap caps, in order for the ejectors to engage.) The bottom cap actually has some of the finish worn off from where the rim hits the plate near the firing pin when closing the action. So, I'd say this is clearly just a case of lesser than great tolerances in manufacturing. (Which is kind of what makes it a Stoeger anyway. If the parts had been on the money, spec-wise, they would have been used on a Benelli. :lol: )

Oh well... To be continued, I reckon.

sig_admin.png

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:56 AM

I'm in agreement on the "stiffness" of Stoger O/U's Jere. I looked at several and all seem to be way too hard to work. I do like the feel of the gun and think a short barreled Stogey would be sweet for grouse or at least a good match to your dad's SBS in heated a HoHo shoot.:lol: ....congrats !
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users