4 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

a few months ago a friend of mine bought a traditions yukon, he didn't like the short barrel and offered it to me for $100 and it was still in the box. today i finally got to shoot it, i bought some blackhorn 209, federal 209a primers, and 295 grain powerbelt hollow point. i'm shooting 1inch groups with 80grains of powder do yall think thats enough to deliver the energy to stop a whitetail? thanks

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

a few months ago a friend of mine bought a traditions yukon, he didn't like the short barrel and offered it to me for $100 and it was still in the box. today i finally got to shoot it, i bought some blackhorn 209, federal 209a primers, and 295 grain powerbelt hollow point. i'm shooting 1inch groups with 80grains of powder do yall think thats enough to deliver the energy to stop a whitetail? thanks

I've killed Whitetails with 70 gr's and a round ball. 90 gr was my favorite load but if your rifle likes that load it should do the trick.:yes:

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

Yes I have used my Knight bighorn on at least 8 deer and only 80 grains of powder. Most were fairly close shots but several were at or over 50 yds. I once killed a doe with a Traditions very short barrel gun using only 60 grains of powder and a powerbelt and that shot was 83 long steps away. My favorite load for years with a prb in a flintlock was 75 gr of 3f powder. Infact only one rifle uses 90 grains of powder and that is as much as I have ever needed.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

That load your talking would be enough to stop more then a deer. Blackhorn 209 is more powerful then conventional sub powders. Add 15% to give you an indication of how much black powder you would be shooting. For a deer this year I am going to try 60 grains of Pyrodex P and I will suspect that I get a complete pass through with the conical I want to shoot. A forum member I know shot a deer at 200 yards with 65 grains of powder (Pyrodex P) and a 460 grain conical. He got a complete pass through and the deer managed a few steps before it dropped. Why you ask? Bullet placement and bullet construction. He put a good quality bullet in the right place. The rest was simple physics.

People have gotten on this powder trip and I wish they'd stop. They need this cracker jack powder in 120 or 150 grain loads or they just can't kill a deer. Before inline rifles, we killed deer all the time with 70 grains of Pyrodex RS and a patched roundball. Now the "experts" tell us that a roundball is not a "deer killing load." Well where were these experts when it came time to drag my roundball killed deer out of the woods? They were busy thinking up the next goofy thing to write about, in their "expert opinion."

I am no expert when it comes to muzzleloaders and never claimed to be. But I shoot a lot of muzzleloaders, a lot of projectiles, and powders. I have seen what they will do and what they will not. A moderate powder charge with a quality projectile will take any whitetail deer.

As for your Yukon. Great rifle!! I have a Remington Genesis with a stainless steel barrel. The difference between the two.. stainless steel barrel and a harder to spell name. Otherwise my parts for it comes from Traditions Arms. The best shooting load out of this rifle is 2 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets, Winchester W209 primer, and a 250 grain Barnes MZ expander.

Posted Image

At 66 yard it made a three shot group at a little over a half an inch. I'd hunt a moose with that load. A good bullet, shot placement, and enough powder to penetrate to the vital organs spell death to anything. I am not sure if I would shoot a powerbelt, but only because I like other bullets better.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

I do not usually contradict Cayugad but this one time I feel I must say nay to one of his statements. In my mind cayugad is truly an expert on muzzleloaders even if he says not. An expert in my mind is one who theorizes about something and then acts on it and is not afraid of telling his results. Just the fact of being honest and truthful as you are makes you more of an expert than most "experts". When cayugad speaks I listen and I most always am very satisfied with what you say. If there is someone that I would be pleased to meet and share a campfire with it is cayugad. My brother Spirithawk feels the same way and what a meeting that would be.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users