6 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

Jason just traded a scope for a CVA Buckhorn 50 cal. We needed one more muzzleloader for one of his boys. I'm happy to say that all his boys, one son and two stepsons, have taken an interest in muzzleloader hunting. :D Anyways, I know this is a low end CVA but it's really not a bad looking rifle. Anyone have any experience shooting one?

#2 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

i had one last season, it shot really good as good as any inline i now own. i only went to a sealed breech because i wanted to try blackhorn 209 powder. the buckhorn is a good gun and will get the game as good as any higher priced gun, i got a doe last year with mine she never even ran off. i used 90grains 777 and a 295 grain powerbelt.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

I have no experience with the CVA but it is very similar to my Knight Bighorn. The CVA book lists this rifle as The buckhorn 209 Magnum and has a 24 inch barrel with a 1:28 twist. It has a 209 primer ignition system which mine does not. It states that the Buckhorn 209 Mag will handle up to 150 grain loads. It also states it has a bullet guiding muzzle which I presume to be a QLA. Like my Bighorn it is an open breech style rifle. What I have read about it is most folks that have one like it. Good luck with it I know my open breech Bighorn is a real shooter with 85 gr of 2f Goex and a 300 gr Hornady XTP in a harvester crush rib sabot. The only time I wish mine was a closed breech is if it is raining but a piece of duct tape can solve that.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Falcon

Falcon

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

The BuckHorn is a better gun than the StagHorn: It is a really good gun for the money. The BuckHorn is just as accurate and reliable as any muzzleloader out there. A good starting load is 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and the 240 grain .430 XTP bullet in a crush rib sabot.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

Thanks guys. Jason brought it here and I gave it a good cleaning. It's fairly new but had been neglected. Jason was afraid the bore was pitted but a good cleaning has it looking spottless. We slapped a Thompson Center scope on it and it's ready to go. It is actually a pretty nice rifle.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:07 AM

I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum. The Buckhorn Magnum replaced it with the two locking lugs instead of one. While both were low end rifles, I must say that 90 grains of powder and about anything I want to push down that Staghorn will really shoot well. I would hunt with that rifle in a second. I am sure you will find the same holds true about the Buckhorn. Don't let the open breech design scare you. They are water proof as well as the next rifle and they fire every time. Sometimes I think the simplicity of the design is their best feature.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum. The Buckhorn Magnum replaced it with the two locking lugs instead of one. While both were low end rifles, I must say that 90 grains of powder and about anything I want to push down that Staghorn will really shoot well. I would hunt with that rifle in a second. I am sure you will find the same holds true about the Buckhorn. Don't let the open breech design scare you. They are water proof as well as the next rifle and they fire every time. Sometimes I think the simplicity of the design is their best feature.

Thank Cayugad. I'm really kind of impressed with the rifle. I think my grandson will be very happy with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users