#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Today after checking my treestands I noticed something I thought was a little odd. On my way home I saw maybe 3-5 either young jakes or hens walking together alongside the road. There were also maybe 6-8 poults with them. Is this common behavior for birds to group together like this with their young? Or was it just someone not that out of the ordinary?
-Eric

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

Today after checking my treestands I noticed something I thought was a little odd. On my way home I saw maybe 3-5 either young jakes or hens walking together alongside the road. There were also maybe 6-8 poults with them. Is this common behavior for birds to group together like this with their young? Or was it just someone not that out of the ordinary?

It's not unusual Eric. Except during breeding season turkeys often group together in flocks. We often see groups of hens with poults.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, nothing raising my eyebrows there except maybe if the poults were still real young at this stage. (Just meaning a little later breeding.)

Loosely related, I've seen a few all-gobbler (bachelor) groups in the last three or four weeks. It's almost as if we're just gonna head straight into mid-fall. :D

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for your replies guys. It was just something I thought was a little odd at the time (of course I know little to nothing about turkey behavior).

-Eric

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Oh don't worry about that because those of us that regularly hunt those tricky critters learn something new each time out. Just when you think you have it down pat the next turkey will come along and do something we never heard of. I suppose that is why I am so intrigued with those birds.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for your replies guys. It was just something I thought was a little odd at the time (of course I know little to nothing about turkey behavior).

You're most welcome Eric. You learn by asking. Makes us old geezers feel useful when we can pass on knowlege. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users