6 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'd like to hear you folks opinions on point of aim. I've always aimed low for the heart. Deer ducks the string I get the lungs. Lately I've been hearing a lot of guys say they switched to aiming for the shoulder. Theory being it usualy drops the deer and lessons the need for tracking. I hunt in heavy brush a lot, making it tricky to track at times, so that kinda makes sense to me. What say you?

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

If the broadhead does not cut any veins to bleed the deer quickly then that to me a shoulder shot would be a risky shot placement. Shooting a bullet maybe I'd consider it. I know of three deer and one pronghorn that lost a front leg or both front legs to a broadhead and the animal pushed themselves with their hind legs for a mile or more while being pushed by the hunter.
Go for the spot that will kill the animal quickly and that to me is the vitals. Open up the vital with a sharp broadhead and that deer is not going that far. JMHO.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 05 September 2010 - 05:43 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

With archery gear?

Hey, I'll shoot the shoulder all day long with my 45-70. But, with a bow I'm trying to avoid heavy bone... Not aim for it. Different strokes, I reckon. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

On a broadside deer. Line up with the center on the front leg an about three inches above the point of the elbow.

That is a top of the heart shot on a deer. It also avoids heavy leg bones. If the deer ducks you still have a very good chance of taking out both lungs or severing a major artery.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

I have to agree if shooting a bow/crossbow go for the vitals and avoid any heavy bone. After shooting a whole bunch of deer with an arrow the vitals are the surest shot. Just about the only knock em down shot with an arrow is a spine neck or head shot and those are all tricky. With a rifle it is a different story but I still go for the vitals because a bullet has so much shocking power it can destroy the lungs or heart.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

That's the way I've always done it. Was just wondering what all the hype about shoulder shots is about. Even a few hunting shows were pushing for it. I'll stick to what I know works. :D

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

I'll take any and all advice I can get. The description and diagram Leo gave does seem to support a "Front shoulder shot". But if the deer plants the front leg a bit forward, then it puts your shot directly behind the front shoulder where alot of us were taught to shoot. I've been looking at diagrams and where I was taught to shoot for a "Heart Shot" so many years ago is actually a back lung shot. I can see alot of potential problems with going for the "Heart Shot" anatomically speaking such as if the deer moved forward and keeps the leg towards you back, then the leg bone would potentially be in the way. It's hunting though, we owe it to the animals we harvest to try and take them down as humanely as possible and to not waste any of what they provide to us. If I get a wide opening on the shot Leo described I'm taking it... I'd rather destroy the heart in one fell swoop and still possibly get both lungs to boot than take a chance of hitting too far back and making a liver/gut shot. or shoot too far forward and risk possibly just crippling a deer. Just my 2 cents though.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users