Practice/sighting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

I went out to one of my buddy's houses today for a bit of re-sighting and practice with my bow. :archer: I have recently taken my sight apart to rework the fiber due to an unfortunate accident and really needed to sight it in. I guesstimated the placement of the 10yd pin on my first shot and was only about 2" high with 2 arrows so I adjusted accordingly and was dead center of the bull for the 3rd and 4th shots. We went through back to 40yds and got mine sighted in, then we started just shooting for fun, before we knew it, it was 4 hrs later and both of us were starting to get a little bit of tightness in our right shoulders. LOL We had a blast out shooting and towards the end we decided to see what we could do at 50 (neither of us have a 50yd pin) so we backed up to 50 and tried the holdover technique.... it took us a few tries to see where our bows had to be held to hit where we needed at 50 but it was interesting. I wouldn't try a shot on game at 50 because I don't like the hold over due to the way I shoot, but it is interesting to think that the possibility is there if I can find one more pin. I just have to find them on ebay or something because they are discontinued. :angry: I did help my buddy a little with his form and technique in general. Apparently the technique I use is helpful to more than just me. I forget where I learned it, but basically my hands aren't steady and I can't hit worth squat when I try to hold dead on the target. I have to start just above the point of aim and let the bow fall slowly down through where I want to hit, squeezing the trigger on my release as the pin hits where I want to hit, hold it for about 3 seconds and then allow the bow to fall naturally from there. It works for me, some people might find it difficult to shoot this way, but it works for me. After a few attempts at explaining it to my buddy he got what I was saying and tried it and got his first actual bull of the day. I'm so ready for Oct 1st to get here it's pathetic.... C'mon October!!!
Semper Fi

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

Keep practicing and continue even during the bowhunting season and you'll be a deadly archer. Those longer practice shots help you focus on your form so when you are up close it should help you setup with confidence and your shooting is mentally ready and able.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

Rowdy the only thing that might hurt me this year is if I misjudge my yardage. Thinking about trying to talk the wife into letting me get a rangefinder. The one that I'm looking at is the Halo 400 from WGI... I'm finding myself drawn to WGI more and more. They make stuff in my price range that works very well.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 06 September 2010 - 09:30 AM.

Semper Fi

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

I can't judge distance worth a darn so I don't leave home to bowhunt without a range finder in my pack. Best thing I ever did was to upgrade to angle compensating type that are out now. After I get in my stand that's the first thing I do is start playing a game on how far is that rock or that tree and then range it and then see how far off I was. I'm usually amazed on how distances appear different in the woods compared to my back yard where I shoot at set distances. My sight is five pins and they start at 10 yards to 23 yards is my top pin and the next is 30 yards, then every ten yards after that. Most every shot I'd take hunting is going to be bewteen those two top pins. I say that because my guess is a 40 yards shot isn't going to be possible with out arrowing a branch or tree LOL. It's that much of woods where I hunt. Now out west when I was out there I used my range finder and 40 yards looked really close compared to here in Ohio. So my recommendation is buy one. Practice with it and get use to it so you will be telling us how you filled the freezer this year.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 07 September 2010 - 08:30 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

Rowdy I was pretty good for a long while... but now I don't know what happened but 10yds looks like I could brain the deer with the bow.... it's just TOO CLOSE...... no matter what the range, I'm finding myself misjudging quite horribly... I gotta practice, but I'll probably pace off the distances at my set up and maybe mark it with some engineering tape. If memory serves... the max shot will be 20 yds... but that's just memory.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users