• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

Proud to announce a new firearm to the collection, a Savage 110BA in .338 Lapua Magnum. {BA could stand for bolt action, but I prefer BAD A$$ ,lol} Anyway, We had this calibur in the AR30 rifle, turns out the ARs are hard to get, a guy at the gun club really liked ours, a deal was made, and we decided to go the Savage route, it has a tighter 1 in 9 inch twist where as the AR was 1 in 10. Mounted a 5.5 to 22X Nightforce scope on it. Shells for this calibur ran about $120 for a box of 20, an afternoon of plinking could cost a weeks wages,lol so we started to reload. Local gun shop had 101 Lapua cases for this calibur at a buck a piece {we took them all} Bullets are 38 to 50 cents each depending on gr size, 250 or 300gr. Weight of gun is around 16-17 pounds, way more portable than a .50, but still a load. Some of the pics include the gun, bullets{ 250 and 300gr} a .50, the .338 and a .223 for size comparison, a bunch of brass ready for reloading, and some equipment.Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

The dang brass is the bad end of it all, new Lapua brand is about 2.50 a piece. so we jumped on a pile of once fired ones for a buck per. Other than that, its not too bad. Magpul stock, AccuTrigger at 1 lb 10 oz out of the box, no crap!, should be a shooter. I found actual Lapua 250's and Sierra 300 MK's on the consignment rack, so thats all right. Looking forward to breaking in! Woot Woot!

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

I love this post! :thumbsup:

Ammo prices are getting ridiculous across the board. Good deal on the brass. Reloading would be the only way to go for such a caliber in this house.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:42 AM

I have never shot the caliber but have shot the 338 win mag and although a bit lighter than yours was fun to shoot. Earlier this summer I attended an informal shoot with some guys from another website. Everything that someone brings is available for anyone else to try a shot. I had to pass on a 50 BMG because of recent eye surgery but was assured that next year I would have the opportunity. I have shot a 375 H&H there but passed on a 416 rigby because the stock was only set up for a right handed shooter. Shooting those big boomers is a lot of expensive fun.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

Great post and makes a bunch of solid thinking to reload. My son was collecting brass at the range the last time so he could reload his AR .223 ammo.

One question, is y'all going to hunt with that dragon slayer? :hunter:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:43 PM

Our main purpose for this rifle is just very long range target shooting, although "the kid" will probably take it to the deer stand opening day, just to get a notch in the stock,lol. We became interested in this cartridge after watching a show on the Military channel{or History channel?} about the top ten ultimate sniping rifles, the .338 Lapua came in 3rd, behind the .50BMG and the ultimate winner, the .408 Cheytac. Without stretching the envelope, its an honest to goodness 1000- 1500 meter gun. No need to jack up the loads. Again, the technical aspect of long range shooting intrigues us both, lots of reading and note taking, and it really is a 2 man operation, gets to be a bit of a workout to go check out the target for one guy,lol. The reloading part is another science project, we reload quite a few different caliburs, both rifle and pistol, almost as much fun as shooting, and very relaxing. We are still very much in the beginning stages of all of this, some pretty fascinating stuff. And Paul, the recoil of a .50 with a good muzzle break, is comparable to shooting a 12ga. with 3inch Mag 500gr slugs from the shoulder. Those muzzle breaks really do a nice job. { I do understand the need to be very cautious after an eye surgery}

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

This fellows BMG weighs about 38 lbs and the guy that had it there said it recoils more like a 30-06. It has the big muzzle brake that looks like it belongs on a tank. Yes I was a bit bummed out not to be able to shoot it but it was only a couple of weeks after my first eye surgery and I was definately not taking any chances. I have been reloading for many years and cannot remember the last time I shot factory ammo except for shotgun. A couple of the rifles I have I can only shoot reloads as they never were made commercially. Those being the 219 Donaldson Wasp, 7mm T&R Mag and a 25 Souper also known as a 25-308 sometimes. Of course I really like my muzzleloaders which is caseless reloading right in the barrel.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users