My New Bow...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

So, what does everyone think of my new bow?

Posted Image

Rowdy will love this one...
I won TWO more firearms at yet another local sportsman's club "gun bash". One was a scoped Marlin 30-30 and the other a Ruger 10/22. Well, I already have three or four Marlin 30-30's (as any self-respecting PA hunter does :lol: ) and really don't do any .22 plinking. So, I took the cash equivalents instead, added in ~$300, and walked away with the Excalibur Equinox you see before you.

As some know, I've had struggles with an inflammatory arthritic condition for about 6 years now. I still shoot a compound as much as is possible, but my newest ones are only 50# limbs. I have good days and I have bad days. (Some days I feel full of life and some others I can not even close my hands to form a fist.) This crossbow will keep me hunting on certain days, I am sure of it... and that's alright with me! (I do have to get the crank cocking device for it soon though. 225# is a beast to pull even for a healthy, young buck. :lol: )

Anyway, about the crossbow... man, it's a shooter. Loud! But, honestly, what crossbow isn't? The accuracy is amazing. The Vari-Zone scope also solves a big problem I've come across with other crossbows. That being that the multi-line crosshair is actually adjustable for varying crossbow speed! The dial on the scope goes from 250 to 350 f.p.s. You just dial it to the speed of your crossbow and the multiple crosshairs will actually fall 20, 30, 40, 50 yards etc. I also can not say enough about the recurve prod. Not having anything to worry about but a string is really nice. (I've had to time the cams on my father's compound crossbow a few times. It's not really a big chore, but you have to have the right press to even work on crossbows to begin with. Most folks don't!) With this, all you really need is a stringer (very similar to a recurve or longbow stringer) to work on the crossbow. It is also one of the only crossbows on the market that doesn't need to be fired in order to let down the string. You can easily and safely do it with the rope cocking device that comes with the crossbow. Yeah, I know... I didn't believe it either. But, I'm telling you, I've done it a few times just because I couldn't hardly believe how easy it is to do. (Again, a 225# crossbow and it was a one-handed operation.) Very nice! I also must say that the instructional DVD that Excalibur puts out with their crossbows is fantastic. (I know... who needs instructions? :rolleyes: ) Seriously, it covers everything you could ever possibly want to know about the product and more. Every single thing you need to know or assemble is actually demonstrated on the video. They could probably sell just the DVD as a crossbow tutorial as it's so in-depth.

I did look very hard at a TenPoint as well as the new Horton Vision 175. The TenPoint ended up losing ground with me because of the fact that the crank cocking device is built in. I always thought this was the way to go. But, honestly, it's a bit bulky on the stock and definitely adds weight. Additionally, you still have to always remember to bring the handle that goes into the box on the side of the stock. If you forget it, you are out of luck. So, it's really no more "convenient" than a non-attached crank. (You can still forget or lose either.) The Horton... boy... I tell you, I almost went with it. If you haven't seen it yet, you will. The limbs are ultra compact and they are actually "backwards" on the crossbow from traditional configuration. The result is a crossbow that can be used in much tighter quarters than just about any other on the market. It also balances very well with the limb configuration instead of being front-heavy like many other crossbows. Unfortunately, two things kept me from buying it. One, a Horton representative informed me that they do not have a crank cocking device available for this crossbow and likely will not until next year. Two, I got to see first hand a Vision that had "exploded". It seems that the axles that hold the cams onto the crossbow are not drilled through the limb tips. They are run through a separate metal limb tip and that tip is only epoxied on. I had read of these tips failing (on Cabela's online reviews) but, honestly, wasn't sure of the truthfulness. Well, after seeing it myself on a returned Vision... I really liked the looks of the Excalibur even better. :rolleyes: All told, I think that the Vision will be a trend setter. I look for that design to come on in the next few years. But, there are some bugs to be worked out on the first generation, for sure. (I just didn't want to be an unofficial tester. ;) )

Can't wait to hit the range again this weekend... with camera along, this time I hope. :D

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Jerry Winland

Jerry Winland

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

Very nice Jer....you should buy a couple of lottery tickets....lol

Hey what do you think of the qad ultra rests?....
Jerry

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

Jerry took the words right out of my mouth, "Very nice Jer....you should buy a couple of lottery tickets....lol" .

Amazing luck Jeremiah and yes I'm surprised with how often you won.

The X-Bow is cool looking. Congratulations!!! And if it gets you more time in the woods and enjoying the bow season then what the hay.

I was watching Uncle Ted show and he was shooting a new cross bow. He started adding Sims noise reduction stuff to it and he did a before and after sound test. It did lower the amount of noise. Just a thought.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

Welcome to the cross bow world. I will agree that they are not a vertical bow but does allow one to get out there and enjoy the hunt. The arrow speed somewhat overcomes the noise factor out to 20 or 25 yds anyway. My bro in law shoots an excalibur also and really likes his for hunting. I almost bought one for myself but got such a deal on the one I have now that I could not pass it up. Does Excalibur recommend relaxing the bow for storage as you would a conventional bow. Be sure to keep your rails lubed.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 15 September 2010 - 10:36 AM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

Does Excalibur recommend relaxing the bow for storage as you would a conventional bow.

Yes and no. :rolleyes:
It's so easy to take the string off that they suggest if you store your crossbow for several months out of the year that it's not a bad idea to unstring it. However, they also say that it is not necessary to do so and that if you shoot some year-round that you should probably just leave it strung. I'm pretty sure that the limbs are lifetime warranty to the original owner. So, even if they would ever take on a set it should be taken care of.

sig_admin.png

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

Very nice Jer....you should buy a couple of lottery tickets....lol

Hey what do you think of the qad ultra rests?....
Jerry

I don't think I've ever bought a lottery ticket. I generally buy these raffle tickets when they start talking about how the proceeds help the given club or go to some sort of youth hunting program. :doh2: (Sucker. :lol: )

Ultra Rest is pretty good. Even with the newer (faster dropping) models, I've had to play around with the timing to get them to fall fast enough on some bows. That can be a bit of a pain. (I hear it from other archers all the time as well. So, I'd say it's fairly common. Just takes more messing around with it to get it right.) I'm currently shooting a Ripcord on my Monster, if that means anything.

sig_admin.png

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

I think you made a brilliant choice going with the Excalibur Equinox. If I was getting a crossbow it would be an Excalibur and most likely an Equinox. Very very nice piece of equipment :)
Posted Image

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

That's really awesome Jerimiah. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy and great you were able to turn your winnings into something that will keep you in the field slinging arrows. The Horton Vision is a pretty cool bow to but on a crossbow forum I know of there's a lady that is a pro hunter who hunts with Kieth Warren a lot. When I bought my Legend Pro XL175 she told me that it is the bow of her choice above the Vision. I think because of issues such as you mentioned. Being new and needing some bugs worked out. Therefore I think you made an excellent and wise choice. I have a question. There are a few of us on here now that use crossbows, mostly from necesity. I also kmnow that more and more people are using them for the same reasons as us. Then more simply because their states now allow them. Many are looking for a forum to call home where, being novices and experienced crossbow hunters alike, they can share info and get answers to questions. Would you consider a crossbow forum here? Jerimiah, I know you have mixed feelings about using one. Most of us do too. I just think that it would bring in lots of new members and be a good addition to our home here. Why let all these folks go elswhere when the best forums on the net are all right here? Just a thought. I'll shut up now. :peace: Again, congrats on your new bow. May it bring you years of enjoyment and put many a tasty meal on your table.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users