6 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Well, 5:30 am will find me sitting in my tree stand bow in hand. We didn't get drawn for the Drury-Mincy Muzzleloader hunt again this year so are planning to do that much more bow hunting. I've my new crossbow and high hopes. I very much want some backstraps and some venison for making jerky. :D

#2 Jerry Winland

Jerry Winland

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

Good Luck ...I'm heading to WV for doe hunt with muzzleloader on monday....woo ....hoo....
jerry

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:24 AM

Norm you lucky dog, get out there and put some meat in your freezer and some bones on your wall ;)
Semper Fi

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:53 AM

Good luck Norm! 3 more days for me...:)
-Eric

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hope you file the tag Norm and yes we want to see your smiling mug and what ever you arrowed. Shoot straight and good luck.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 15 September 2010 - 08:38 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

Great to talk with you on the phone. So sorry that we will not make it down to see you on our way out to Kansas. May the creator smile upon you and grant you success in your hunt.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

First, thanks guys. Best of luck to you too.

Great to talk with you on the phone. So sorry that we will not make it down to see you on our way out to Kansas. May the creator smile upon you and grant you success in your hunt.

Thank you Paul, I really enjoyed talking to you too my friend. Always do. Of course we'll miss you and Judy, but hey, we already do.:yes: I at least got my pressure tank patched and working. I was pretty worried about that. You take care of those lungs my friend.

Welllll folks, opening day was pretty interesting. Got in my ladder stand about 5:30 am. It was pretty foggy out and could only see about 40 yards. It was awesome sitting there. Like looking out into a fantasy land from a movie or fairy tale. Finally getting out of the house and back into the woods was thrilling to say the least. Good for both heart and soul. It was just cool enough to be comfortable and absolutely no wind. Unfortunately no deer either. :lol: Saw a ton of squirrels, one of wich climbed right up the ladder into the stand with me. He sat at my feet eating an acorn and never realised I was there. Around 11 Jason called me on the radio saying he'd seen nothing either. We opted for home, bisquits and gravy and naps as we'd both been up all night. At 5pm we headed back out but to a new spot we wanted to try. I'd found a secluded small pond on the neighbors property which now has water in it after a long dry spell. The fog had finally lifted and I sat overlooking the pond while Jason headed about 75 yards down the ridge to a small clearing. About an hour before dark I heard a deer cough three times between him and me. Jason said he'd been grunting when, from farther down the ridge, he heard an answering grunt. He could hear the buck coming as it continued to grunt coming closer. Unfortunately for Jason it circled down wind between him and me and when Jason slightly turned his head the buck saw him and trotted off coughing. Jason only saw the rear half of him. That is the coughing I heard. It didn't go far but milled around only about 40 yards from me. Problem was the pond was between us and a large patch of cat-tails blocked my view of him. He grunted back a few times , to my grunting, but wouldn't come around the pond. The woods are thick in there and thus it got dark fast on us. We've decided we need to hang a couple stands in there as this 20 acres hasn't been hunted in years. It's sourounde but more woods which only a portion of has been hunted. We're thinking this may be a real honey hole. What's nice is it's right across the road from my house and easy for me to get in and out of both quickly and quietly. Now, not seeing the deer, we figure it was surely a buck as does don't grunt. Jason can't hunt untill Sat. morning so I'm staying out of there to let things settle back down. Plus I have kind of a problem. I could draw my old 150lb Devastator fairly easy but my new Legend XL 175 is another story. Even with the rope that Paul gave me I still have dificulty drawing it. I can do it but today I woke up with my back telling me it don't much like me doing it. I think if I keep at it I'll build the muscle just like I did with the Devastator, buttttt I run the risk of being laid up with my back out too. Long and short of things is, at least for a while, I need Jason to draw it for me. I'm also going to try and save up the aprox, $150 to buy a crank type draw device for it. That would be the easiest and most pratical way to go. I hate having to rly on Jason, plus unless he hunts, I can't. I know $150 may not seem like a lot but my only income is my VA Pension. My wallet is on a low calorie salary I'm afraid. :lol: Anyone runs across a deal on one I'd apreciate a heads up. My back would too. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 16 September 2010 - 03:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users