4 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

Im starting to refletch my arrows. two arrows I was able to clean up easily with an exacto knife but the ones that didnt have a problem with the original blazer veins, are posing to be more challenging. What is the easiest way to remove the old adhesive once I cut the vanes off? Should I use a debonder? I am switching to Fusion vanes.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

The Norway Zip-Strip is the best dedicated refletching tool available. If this is something you plan to do from now on then I would recommend investing in one.

Outside of that... if it's an aluminum arrow you can use just about whatever you want to on it. If it's a carbon arrow, I would keep away from using any sort of debonding agent... even acetone unless it's just a quick wipe. (You wouldn't want to break down the resin that actually holds the carbon fibers of the arrow itself together. :doh2: ) Personally, I cut the vane off and then scrape the arrow shaft all with a dull knife blade. I then wipe with denatured alcohol. I've yet to gouge or nick an arrow doing this. I guess there is a certain "feel" that you develop over time. But, it's not rocket science. Happy fletching. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

The Norway zip strip tool is the thing to get. I don't use anything else and have for years. I just clean and re-fIetched 18 arrows this past week using it.
I think Cabelas has them or they did.

It will clean the old glue off my carbon shaft very good. It does a great job taking old wraps off too. Just my .02 but it is not the Blazer vanes giving you the trouble but the old glue.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

I went and it looked like cabelas was ransacked...or at least their arrow building section did. They had no debonder left among alot of other stuff. I went with the special razor blades for now & will get the zip strip another time. Thanks!

#5 Jerry Winland

Jerry Winland

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

I have always used a pairing knife....because they are not serrated and very smoothe......it has worked well for me for 20+ years.....
Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users