• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

went on my first antelope hunt this year, shot 2 does. one is obviosly a buck but wyoming antelope regulations allow for a buck to be taken if its horns are not longer than its ears. this one was right there! but he/she was legal :) shot the buck at 380 yards with my 7mm and a 150 grain accubond. Shot the 2nd doe at 502 yards with the same set up. we hunted all day seen a lot of antelope. tried a few 1000 yard shots but there was too much wind for me to be very effective. enjoy..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

Congrats again. Now lets see one elk and two antelope = bigger freezer and good eating.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

Nice shootin. Looks like the weather was real nice to.

Steve

#4 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Congrats Timothy, ya got my blood pumpin'
We are heading that way in a few weeks.

#5 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

I got a pretty big freezer, Right now i have quarter beef, a elk, 2 antelope some elk left over from last year, some deer from last year. I gotta put another bull in, a cow elk in, and 2 more deer.. shold have room. Ive never eaten antelope and didnt know if i would like it. so i cut out 2 roasts my steaks and ground the rest for jerky. im gunna jerky all my old game from the past 2 years too. I really wanted to go white tail hunting in texas this year, but my contract changed at work and i had to use all my leave, my wife started college too so my plans of white tail domination have been ruined.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:51 AM

although I live in the east I have eaten antelope and found it quite palatable. It is not deer or elk but good nontheless.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

Nice shot!!! Congrats on a successful hunt.

With all that sage brush around I hope the steaks didn't get over whelmed with it. The pronghorn I killed tasted great. I'm hoping to get out west to get another.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

I think i took pretty good care of the meat, i boned it out in the hills, but i skinned it from the stomach and just rolled it over its own hide... Very little hair got on it, (i hear taht makes the meat bad, the hair is hollow and oil filled) and put it on ice asap. so well see. we camped at a really cool spot ill post a picture of taht too.

Posted Image

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

Timothy sounds like you did the very best you could under your circumstances. Everything should be fine. It was so hot when I shot my whitetail in KS we boned it as soon as we got home and stuck the meat in the freezer. Had to take it to the processer to be ground while it was one big frozen glob. Worked out though so all was well. I got to eat several meals of antelope once when a friend went on an antelope/elk hunt and needed soft luggage which I loaned him. Those steaks were very good. He claimed that the meat was a little like sage but I thought it was good.

#10 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

CONGRATS on a great hunt!
Posted Image

#11 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

I do my own processing, i am very picky with my meat lol... Also i have heard some horror stories about some of the local game processors.. a guy said he brought a deer in and when he went and got it back he asked where his backstraps where... the guy said oh this deer didnt have backstraps!

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

Sounds just like me. I take the best care of my wild game I possibly can. The only thing I do not do is grind the burger meat. I feel confident that I am getting back my own meat with the people I deal with or no deal. It isn't that hard to process a deer and Lord knows I have done a few. I helped a friend that butchered deer and made up my mind he was not doing mine.

#13 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:01 AM

A UT antelope hunt. Not something this easterner see very often. I've never seen a place in my travels I could take shots like those.

It was fun to live them in your post.

Congrats!
Your eye in the northeast sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users