5 replies to this topic

#1 TXRedneck

TXRedneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hello all,
I am getting back into bow hunting when I get home so I just had my Nephew pick me up a Mathews Z7 today and it will be about 3 weeks before I get to shoot it. It has a #60 pound pull with a 28.5 draw length. I am planning on going with a QAD Ultra-rest pro Series HD with 300g carbon arrows (brand to be determined) I was wondering if anybody could give me some suggestions on what I should do to get this bow shooting as close to 300FPS as I can get it. I know the IBO rating for this bow is 332FPS but that is for a 70# bow. So I don't think this bow will get any where close to that, but I would like to get it as fast as possible. Thanks

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

Theoretically you should do a little better than 300fps with your set up and a 300grain arrow in that bow. If it doesn't have a certified tech check the cam tuning.

Personally I've never hunted with an arrow that light before.
Posted Image

#3 Jerry Winland

Jerry Winland

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Yea it should be aroune 297fps.....332- (15fps for draw length) - (20fps for 60lbs) = 297...
Jerry

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Back country archery tools This web sites can give you some basic and fast information about your set up and a way to play around with "some what if's" ideas.
You can subtract 10fps per inch of draw of the IBO rated speed off of the length of 30" and 2 fps per every 1lbs off from top IBO rates of 70#. You also have to throw into the mix the stuff on the string like a peep and a D-loop and silencers that affects the speed and energy of the shot. With the Z7 I think you'll be needing a stiff spine arrow cut at 28" because of the higher energy cam on the Z7. My guess is the weight of the appropriate spined arrow will put you in the 295 to 285fps range.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 06 October 2010 - 03:30 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 TXRedneck

TXRedneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:48 PM

thanks for the replies guys. If I can get it anywhere over 285FPS , and shooting good, then I will be more then happy. Another quick question. When figuring out what arrow weight to shoot. Do you calculate the broad head weight into the equation? So if somebody says they are going to be shooting a 300g arrow is that without the broad head weight or with?

Edited by TXRedneck, 08 October 2010 - 12:00 AM.

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

thanks for the replies guys. If I can get it anywhere over 285FPS , and shooting good, then I will be more then happy. Another quick question. When figuring out what arrow weight to shoot. Do you calculate the broad head weight into the equation? So if somebody says they are going to be shooting a 300g arrow is that without the broad head weight or with?

The IBO specification is based on total arrow weight. So that includes the head weight.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users