#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

This morning I was sitting in my stand for a couple hours and had a group of turkeys walk by. This got me thinking, why isn't turkey hunting from a treestand popular? I understand that it helps to be mobile while turkey hunting, but if you only have a small parcel to hunt on why not? You would be out of the line of sight of the birds. Has anyone tried hunting turkeys out of a stand?
-Eric

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

Pretty sure it's not legal to turkey hunt from a treestand in most states.
Posted Image

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

Eric, checked the NYS Conservation Dept. Website and there doesn't seem to be a regulation against it... I'd check alot more into the regulations regarding it before actually hunting a turkey out of a tree stand but it makes sense and alot of people seem to be making the same observation.
Semper Fi

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

I just researched my PA game commission handbook and did not find where it is illegal. I certainly would not hunt from a treestand in the fall season. Our small game season is concurrent with fall turkey season and I certainly would not be comfortable sitting higher than ground level in squirrel and grouse season. When I was in Kansas a couple weeks ago during their muzzleloader deer season I saw a bunch of turkeys from a tree stand. Danger to a turkey can come from above as well as at ground level so they do look up and I have been spotted while sitting in a treestand by turkeys. If it is legal and not in a small game season it may work if you know where the turkeys roost and set your treestand up to intercept them as they come to roost.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 09 October 2010 - 06:48 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

I have killed turkey in the fall from a treestand.
Though legal in Pennsylvania, this was not really by design. It simply occurred during an overlap between white-tail archery season and fall turkey season.
(A turkey happened by my stand and was fair game... you get the idea.)

Believe it or not, I've been picked off in a treestand by turkey just as often as sitting on the ground. Their eyesight is almost omnidirectional. (Being on either side of their head, a turkey's eyes afford them a much wider field of view than we have as well as an ability to literally see in different directions at the same time.) While white-tail have certainly been known to look up and bust a stand hunter, it seems as though turkey look up a lot more often and they will pick up on movement even before a deer would, in my experience. So, the thought that turkey hunting from an elevated platform may present an advantage is not one that I subscribe to, personally. But, provided it is a legal method for the area and the lay of the land lends itself to this type of ambush, I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for trying it.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

As far as I know it is illegal to take turkeys with a firearm from a treestand in NC, SC and AL.
Posted Image

#7 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:42 AM

My brother in law shoots them from a treestand when fall turkey over laps with deer season. He's a deer hunter but doesnt mind a little extra protein. Main reason treestand hunting for turkey isnt more popular I think is that they contantly look for aerial predators like hawks so hiding in a tree isnt anymore effective then leaning against the base of the tree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users