• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

About a year ago {14 months} I purchased a Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle in 45/70 calibur. The rifle came with a buckhorn rear sight, and in a previous post I had mentioned that I didnt think too highly of it, not because it didnt work { i did kill a deer with it last fall}, but because I had always shot my rifles with peep sights, and just wasnt used to the buckhorn. Also, I found that the buckhorn partially obscured the target while trying to follow walking deer. Kinda hard to explain, but it just didnt seem to be the right sight for me. Anyway, after some searching I found a small company in Montana that made a peep that I thought would work perfectly, Skinner Sights LLC http://www.skinnersi...Information.htm . I might add that they were a pleasure to do business with, and their stuff works exactly as advertised. Anyway, today Dan and I mounted the sight, we also purchased a new front sight as the owner of Skinner Sights said that the factory installed front sight would prove to be too low, he was correct. Finally took the gun to the range, and wow, what a difference. Could finally see the whole target, and even with "older" eyes, we started "driving tacks". The picture of the target shows 2 three shot groups, first group was high, adjusted, and then shot the lower one. Now this was at 70yds, the bulk of our deer hunting/shooting is done at ranges usually less than 70, although I have had some as far as 100yds or so, the exception but deffinately not the rule. thPosted Image the the next few pics show the mounted sight. I was impressed with the machining quality. Would highly reccomend themPosted Image

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

Shooting Hornady FTX 325 gr factory ammo, more picsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageBeen kinda fun, having a brass plug made to fill the gap where the buckhorn rear sight was mounted, and also getting a brass butt plate made. The sight came with 2 appertures, .150 for the large and .093 for the small { screwed down in front of the peep} although one could request any size.

Edited by mudduck, 10 October 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

Excellent, Jeff. I have been doing a little checking on Skinner's sights, and everyone that has had any dealings with them is very satisfied. I want to get a set of stainless for mine too, but the scope that I put on there is serving me well.:boone:

Edited by REDGREEN, 11 October 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

Interesting to say the least on how you modified the rear and front sight and for all intense and purposes the end results are what's important, you've been grouping very well with it and the deer should be very SCARED! :rofl: :rofl:

Does that 45/70 pack a kick?? Have you modified the butt stock to reduce the felt recoil any?

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

Mark, it kicks a bit, more than a .30-.30, lol.I grew up shooting shot guns and rifles, deer hunted with slugs for many years, so I really don't even think about recoil, although I will admit I do get the purple reddish raspberries on my skin after a day at the range. Not doing anything with the butt plate to reduce the felt recoil. We usually reload for this gun, and have had super results with the 325 gr hornady ftx bullet, next will try some 400 gr cast lead bullets we recently got at the gun shop. Red, they make the peep in stainless, but not the front sight as they believe it makes target acquisition more difficult. Called and ordered the sight, five days later and I got it in my hand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users