7 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

The PSE bow madness and bow madness xs The only main differences I see according to the website is a 10 fps difference in the ibo speeds, one has a 32" axil to axil length & the other is 28 1/2" and they both have a different grip. SO is the extra $100 difference in price really worth it? Im not a tree stand hunter. I like the idea of a smaller bow for me to use while shooting from a stool in brush. But I heard that short bows are harder to take longe range shots with. Sadly, the articles never said what long range is. 30-40 yrds? or longer for you western hunters? In my area typical shots are 20-30 yrds with 40 yrds being long range.

bow madness

bow madness xs

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

It depends a lot on you. I have a pretty long draw at 31" Short axle to axle bows are typically very difficult for me to shoot accurately at any distance. When the bow is shorter axle to axle than your draw length that is a lot of string pinch to deal with. A properly balanced stabilizer helps a lot!

Try and actually shoot groups with both bows. You'll find out if that's a big deal for you or not.
Posted Image

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

It depends a lot on you. I have a pretty long draw at 31" Short axle to axle bows are typically very difficult for me to shoot accurately at any distance. When the bow is shorter axle to axle than your draw length that is a lot of string pinch to deal with. A properly balanced stabilizer helps a lot!

Try and actually shoot groups with both bows. You'll find out if that's a big deal for you or not.

Im not sure of my draw length but I shoot a 27" arrow (from end of arrow to crotch of nock) and I use a string loop.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

Probably 28"...

I'm in the same boat as Leo. I've shot plenty of bows in the 31" axle to axle range over the years. But, truthfully, the string angle they produce at full draw is pretty ridiculous for someone with a 30" (or longer) draw length. (If you can even find a bow that short that goes over 30" draw length.) I've gone back the other way. Even my hunting rig(s) is 34" or better. With your (likely) draw length, a couple inches shorter shouldn't hurt you. But, the XS may be pushing it a bit. I can also tell you from experience that the preloaded limbs of the first model will make that bow feel even longer axle to axle than it is where shooting stability is concerned. (Not to mention it will be faster shooting, if that matters at all.)

If it was me, I wouldn't even consider buying a bow that I haven't shot first if I wasn't even sure about certain things like my draw length. (And that's not me tryin' to "pick on you", bro. That's just the straight goods. Ya gotta know and that's exactly why archery pro shops exist.) Once you know for sure where you stand and what tends to work for you, then you can be a bit more free wheeling. (Buying from catalogs or even used bows if it can save some money.) Until then, you need the help and should consider factoring that into cost. (As most shops won't charge you a dime for that help provided you are buying the bow there.) Having a bow fit you properly changes the entire bowhunting experience. (The same as one that is ill fitting makes things less enjoyable.)

I'm headed to Cabela's in WV tomorrow. (Need to consider a crank for my crossbow and a couple small items.) I would think they carry both of those bows. If I remember, I'll put my paws on each and let you know specifically what I think of them.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

Probably 28"...

I'm in the same boat as Leo. I've shot plenty of bows in the 31" axle to axle range over the years. But, truthfully, the string angle they produce at full draw is pretty ridiculous for someone with a 30" (or longer) draw length. (If you can even find a bow that short that goes over 30" draw length.) I've gone back the other way. Even my hunting rig(s) is 34" or better. With your (likely) draw length, a couple inches shorter shouldn't hurt you. But, the XS may be pushing it a bit. I can also tell you from experience that the preloaded limbs of the first model will make that bow feel even longer axle to axle than it is where shooting stability is concerned. (Not to mention it will be faster shooting, if that matters at all.)

If it was me, I wouldn't even consider buying a bow that I haven't shot first if I wasn't even sure about certain things like my draw length. (And that's not me tryin' to "pick on you", bro. That's just the straight goods. Ya gotta know and that's exactly why archery pro shops exist.) Once you know for sure where you stand and what tends to work for you, then you can be a bit more free wheeling. (Buying from catalogs or even used bows if it can save some money.) Until then, you need the help and should consider factoring that into cost. (As most shops won't charge you a dime for that help provided you are buying the bow there.) Having a bow fit you properly changes the entire bowhunting experience. (The same as one that is ill fitting makes things less enjoyable.)

I'm headed to Cabela's in WV tomorrow. (Need to consider a crank for my crossbow and a couple small items.) I would think they carry both of those bows. If I remember, I'll put my paws on each and let you know specifically what I think of them.

Thanks Jer. I know cabelas' has them at their hamburg shop but I havent been able to get out that way between hunting season and visiting my wifes grandmom who's recovering from a major heart attack 3 weeks ago.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Jer. I know cabelas' has them at their hamburg shop but I havent been able to get out that way between hunting season and visiting my wifes grandmom who's recovering from a major heart attack 3 weeks ago.

I'm a 28" draw. I can shot a 30" ATA bow out to 40 yards but I am not that consistent like I am with a 32 or 33" or 34" ATA bow. I've played with three different model bows over the years that are in the 30" ATA length and I won't buy another. If I only practiced at 20 yards I might consider it but not all my bow kills have not been that close. I personally think if you practice at longer ranges (40 yards or more) your closer shots become easier.

The best thing is to try them out while you are there. I'd shoot them both then walk away and think it over as to which bow you felt better with. You had your last bow 9 years and this one I assume will be in your hands about the same. Try one or two other makes that Cabelas has while you're there just to see how they feel. Sure can't hurt.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

Forgot to update you...

Believe it or not, I didn't see either of these bows on the rack at the Cabela's in Triadelphia, WV. I'm positive they carry them. There were so many guys there at the counter I didn't wade through to actually ask someone behind the counter. For all I know, they may have been being test-fired. Or, with as many people as were there they may have been temporarily sold out.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

Way back when everyone shot recurves with fingers I would not go less than a 60 inch bow due to finger pinch. Target bows were all about 72 inches long. I believe it was Bear that brought out a 48 inch recurve and at first they sold like hotcakes. Then guys found out that they could not shoot them with one finger on top and two below as the pinch was so great the bow literally jammed your fingers onto the arrow and that causes bad shooting. I believe that is what is hapening today with those super short compound bows. The arrow is getting pinched and affecting its flight.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users