• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

We all have favorite traditional rifles. One of my favorite is my Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 caliber. Even though it is a flintlock, the rifle is surprisingly accurate, and goes off each and every time. Something I began to notice is I shoot a lot of bench resting... BUT what happens when we no longer have our bench?

So I decided to find out.

Posted Image

the first shot I aimed at the bottom of the card. This was to check the sights. I then fired three shots at 25 yards from a bench rest position. This is done at 25 yards. The group off the bench (even through a flintlock) is pretty good.

Posted Image

since a lot of times, I hunt off shooting sticks, I broke them out. Again, shot one at the bottom to check my sights and stance. The fired a three shot group. Why #4 did what it did, I have no idea. But it is off sticks and anything can happen.

Posted Image

Free hand was a whole different experience. I was happy about the group. You see on the a card the other day, I missed the 3x5 index card. It is meant to show that free hand is a whole different ball game for a lot of shooters. I used to be good at free hand, but I have not practiced it as much as I should.

If you ever get to a range, set a index card out at 25 yards and take three shots at it. See how you do. Do you do a lot of free hand shooting?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

I do... though, admittedly, I don't shoot any of my firearms as much as I should.
I always take a few shots off hand every time I practice. Even if still seated (as I usually am while hunting).

Man, this makes me want to take out the Hawken this weekend.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

I do most of my range shooting from the bench because I am usually trying something new or resighting. I shoot from the bench at such times because I want to know what the rifle is doing not what I can do off the bench. I am always humbled though when I shoot offhand. When hunting I much prefer a rest such as shooting sticks, a stump or tree. My preferred shooting position is prone. That being said most of my shots come standing and free hand, a position that I practice the least. I suppose that I much prefer those tight little groups on the target over the pattern like results I usually get offhand. As we age it is just harder to hold that rifle still and that makes it harder to force oneself to practice that position.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users