Predictions Please....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:27 AM

Well all Ironically the last day of Muzzleloader season is the first day I'm gonna get to go, It is currently a full moon (or really close to it) covered up by clouds and scattered t-storms... But this also means that scent will be washed away pretty quick, and that the artesian well will be full of water again.. my question is what time do you think they'll be coming through? I'm gonna try and sit til 2 pm so I can find out for you, I wanna see what time you think they'll be movin'!
Semper Fi

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

In my experience it depends. :lol:

In many cases, it seems that deer will move earlier when the moon is full. (As in move from the feeding area back to their bedding area much earlier; usually well before daylight. :doh2: ) However, and I'm thinking of this one area I hunt in particular, sometimes the deer just hold to their schedule no matter what. (It's 9:30 to 9:45 am and they're trotting past like clockwork no matter what.) Of course, those are yankee deer. There's no tellin' how the grits and cathead biscuit eatin' deer of the south do things. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

Actually I suspect you'll be getting out right at the time they will really being moving. You might see some early activity at 1pm.
Posted Image

#4 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

i hope we get some colder weather here, this past weekend was early muzzleloader season and it was so hot the mosquitoes were as bad as they are in the summer. i'm not even going bow hunting till it cools up, may try fishing with it this hot we had temps near 90.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

...we had temps near 90.

:blink:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

Full moon they probably are up most of the evening feeding and midday (late morning till 2pm) you might catch them up to feed again before heading to the bedding area.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

Last week here in PA we did not encounter deer till about 8:00am in the morning but then we were high on the mountainside. That evening we went low to the fields and I encountered deer between 4:45 and 5:00 that were at the edge of the woods ready to come out into the fields. On Monday evening I had to wait till 6:25 till one showed up and it came home with me. Tuesday evening we pulled in to a farm and the farmer wanted to talk so we stood there and talked until we noticed 2 deer were already out in the field. We sneaked up on them keeping a storage shed between us. Eric chose to bring the big doe home aiming from the corner of the shed. I don't recall what time it was exactly but even after we trailed and found the deer, dragged it to the woods edge and went to the truck and brought back the deer carrier it was still full daylight.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

Well all I didn't get there til about 7;20, because I messed up when I set my alarm... you know the ever present AM/PM mistake.... so I was an hour behind... Saw one doe staring me down on the hr and a half drive down there, got to the land and the guy Dad said could hunt down there is already there and in his set up, no big, I don't have to go past him to get to my set up.... Sit there until about 9:45 then on the road through the property I hear the guy tromping back to his truck, hacking and wheezing.. Great.... then I hear his truck start up, Ok there he goes... <_< NOPE he DRIVES back to his blind to pack up the stuff he has in his blind with him and put more corn out at his set up....and then drives back out of the property, about 50yds from my blind, thankfully I'm not right on the road like he is, but, still not fun to have him driving up and down the road while I'm trying to hunt, and listen for movement through the leaves and rain falling. By 11am I was so sore and stove up I decided to pack it in myself. Then I got to thinking, my muzzy is only bore sighted... I better check and see how bad it's off..... Good thing I did I was 6" high and 6" right at 25 yds....So I adjusted my scope to get it sighted properly....I made sure to put the piece of plywood I was using as a target up against a pine tree to catch the 250gr bullets I was flinging with 100gr of pyrodex 777, The old Traditions Sportster works pretty good, the first primer I popped off, no fire.. Uh oh.. put another in and tried again... and it fired, from now on when I take it out of the truck, I'm firing a primer off before loading.. lesson learned. Dunno what happened, but my muzzy don't kick quite like I remember for some reason.... There's actually no kick that I can tell....
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users