• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 psedeerhunter

psedeerhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

I need your advice. I shoot my bow about 3 time a week all year from December till bow season. I get a 4" group at 60yds. My max for taking a deer is 40yrds. Then when bow hunting, I take a practice arrow with me and pick a spot on ground and shoot it when done for the day. I told my son when a deer is front of you and not looking at you and you are at full draw, you plenty of time to aim and shoot. Now here the problem; I had a big doe 20yrds from me last weekend and I drew back and thought my pin was dead center, then I realease my arrow and it just went over the back and she ran away with no harm done. Went back and got my 3D out and my bow is still shooting good. How do you guys and gals focus or what are you think when aiming at a deer. Need advice please. Thanks Todd

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Todd, without seeing the shot, it's hard to say what might have happened.... The doe could have "jumped the string" on you and ducked a split second before the shot, or it could have been a case of target panic. I've personally used my 30 yd pin on a 10 yd shot because my heart was pounding so hard I couldn't think straight. The best thing I've found is to take a deep breath, let it out slow, and try to imagine the deer is just a 3D target and not a game animal. It may not work for everyone, but it may help. Then there is the old Marine Corp trick. (Sight alignment, sight picture, sight alignment, sight picture over and over until you surprise yourself with the bow going off seems cheesy but it helps) Also there's the aim small miss small approach, pick out a fold of skin, or a bump of the muscle, put your pin there and make that what you're aiming at rather than the entire deer at center mast. Hope any of this helps.
Semper Fi

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

I agree with Terry. The deer likely ducked the arrow in that split second moment when they actually drop down to "load up" their leg muscles in order to get a strong push off for running away. (This is often initiated at the very sound of the bow going off and deer are actually faster to react to it than even the fastest shooting bows going. Many a hunter has shot right over the backs of deer that would have been drilled with a perfect hit if not for this "jumping the string".)

Of course, you could also have just simply missed. Let me ask you this; were you hunting from a treestand? If so, do you practice quite a bit from an elevated position of similar height to your stand? If you were in a stand, but you don't practice elevated shooting much, then it's possible you may simply not have drawn your bow as if on level ground and then bent at the waist all the way down to the deer to take the shot. (If you just stand up straight and shift only your arms downward to meet the deer - without bending at the waist to keep your upper body form the same as usual - then it will change your anchor point and how you are looking through the peep which often causes folks to shoot high.)

There are many other possibilities, my friend. Probably too many to be exhaustive. At the end of the day, sometimes stuff just happens. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 psedeerhunter

psedeerhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

I practice from tree stand all the time. Next time I will talk my way through the aiming to make sure I am using right pin and make sure I am bending at waist and aim a little lower.

Edited by psedeerhunter, 26 October 2010 - 06:15 PM.

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Todd, If you change too much at one time, you may end up going the other direction... GOTTA love this sport.. LOL I don't think I'd aim lower just yet, just make sure you keep your form correct, and focus on using the correct pin, and that should get the job done....... Stuff happens in the field... sights get bumped, in my case last year the hunter leaves the wrong choke tube in the shotgun.. LOL the deer jump the string, the hunter uses the wrong pin, the arrow goes slightly crooked on the rest or when it's coming off the rest, the hunter drops his arm .0002 seconds too early and "drops the shot" to shoot under the deer. Like Jere said, there are too many possibilities to list them exhaustively, but all of them boil down to 3 things, hunter error, equipment failure, and natural phenomenon. Next time just try focusing on using the correct pin and the correct form... I bet you score. Good Luck and God Bless
Semper Fi

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

I can't (won't) tell you how many times I have missed high. Most times it was me having a mental argument with myself as to the yardage. Every time I convinced myself it was farther away than my first estimate I shot high. I have racked up more misses than hits that is for sure. This was all before laser range finders. Don't kick yourself too hard and since you know it was not your equipments fault shake it off and make the next one count.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users