Jump to content


Photo

Oh Bleep..


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

    Totally Addicted

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:allentown PA

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

I was out yesterday along a spring seep hunting from a dead fall tree. My Cabela's range finder fell out of my pocket & into a small pool which I didnt know was there from all the leaves. Now its wet. I have it standing so the water can drip out. I removed the battery. Whats the chances its going to work when it's dry? When I was 15 & working at the local fish hatchery, I had nocked over a guy's pager into the fish run. The following week he was mad because it was working better after taking the plung then it had before and his wife kept beeping him. I didnt see any deer but I did have a red fox walk to the end of the tree, a mere 5 feet from me. Wish I'd had my camera with. Can you say B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L?

Edited by Whitetiger, 02 November 2010 - 11:38 AM.


#2 Leo

Leo

    Hunting Resource

  • Administrators
  • 3,155 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

Chances are much better if you didn't try to use it while it was wet. Moisture itself usually doesn't damage electronics. It's when you run current through the wet device and the moisture causes short circuits that permanent damage occurs.

Make sure it's absolutely dry before you test it. ;)

Salt water is another matter all together. Salt water corrosion can really destroy electronics quickly.
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

    Life Member

  • Authors
  • 5,702 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

Like Leo said, most likely it will work once completely dried. If it were me I would park it in sunlight to give the unit a bit of heat to assist in drying it out. Possibly a hair dryer would work too as long as it only gets warm to the touch. I also would be very sure that the battery compartment is very dry before replacing the battery to keep the battery from corroding. Reminds me of the old time 100megawatt superhetradine walkie talkie I dropped from a tree stand. It fell on the exact corner where the antenna was. It never worked well after that. It would receive but would not send much over 20 yds. I had a comm maint guy look at it and all he would say was it was not the fall that hurt the unit, it was the sudden stop on that rock that did it in.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 02 November 2010 - 02:38 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

    Hunting Resource

  • Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texarkana, TX
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

WT if you took the batteries out pretty quick afterward I'd think you're pretty safe. My wife had a MOTO RAZR phone she used for about 2 years, until our son was about 1 1/2, then he decided to drop it in a rather large water bucket we keep in the living room for the dogs. The first time, I removed the battery pretty quickly, and put it on the dash of my truck in the sun, and let it sit for about 2 days, worked fine... the second time same situation, but it was a little cooler, worked fine again, the 3rd time... my wife decided Luke was gonna keep doing it, so she just stuck with the standby phone I bought her. I'm hoping your luck is equally good.
Semper Fi

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

    Hunting Resource

  • Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Pennsylvania
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

I've taken a few items apart after an "inadvertent dunk" and cleaned contacts with denatured alcohol and then, as was already said, let everything dry out for a ridiculously long time just to be sure. Re-assembled and was still all good.

By the way, what model Cabela's rangefinder? I don't know about now, but they used to be made for them by Bushnell and many of those are at least water resistant.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png


#6 woodswalker

woodswalker

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montana
  • Interests:Trad archery,Trapping and woodscraft

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

I carry a zip-lock bag with rice in it with me in-case something like that happens. Put it in a bag with half or a full cup of dried rice. The rice sucks out moisture. This has saved my cell phone and my dads a few times. He has one cell phone that spent a week in a ditch before he found it. He gave it the rice treatment for over a week before charging it and turning it on. The dang thing still works. lol.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users