• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

A friend of mine was up in my area and decided to visit. They were looking at my rifles and was curious about my Knight Disc .50 caliber. This is an original disc and not an extreme or elite. I was showing them the Lehigh Bolt conversion. They also liked the looks of the rifle, I believed the word was "pretty". But anyway, they then wanted to see it shoot. Since I feel it would make a good field rifle, and was sighted in for 75 yards I brought it off the shelf, got the supplies out necessary to do this, and out the back door we went.

Rifle: Original Knight Disc .50 caliber with Lehigh Bolt conversion. This rifle does not need any of the primer jackets anymore.

Scope: Nikon 2-7x32mm Pro Staff scope.

Projectile: Hornady SST 300 grain Flex Tip in the supplied sabots.

Powder: 85 grains of Pyrodex RS

Primers: Winchester W209

Distance: 103 yards the small orange arrow is pointing at the target hidden back in the shadows

Posted Image

Swab solution: Simple Green

Weather: Bright sun! A gusty wind from time to time, but warm out ... 31šs and it even got up to 35šs before the shooting was done. Just a nice day to be outside.

I was shooting from a bench rest position. I started by swabbing the barrel and then I popped four primers through the action and swabbed with a dry patch. Sabotloader says it works for him, so I wanted to try that.

I knew from shooting in the past that with the SST for some reason, this thing likes 85 grains of powder. At least my notes said so. And so that was what I decided to shoot. Plus there is less recoil in case anyone else wanted to shoot.

Posted Image

Shots 1&2 were touching under the bulls eye. This made sense as the rifle was sighted in for 75 yards. So at 100 yards it should of been a little low.

Then #3 happened.. :? Why this happened I have no idea. I really felt the shot was done right. Although #3 did load much easier then all the other shots for some reason. The others had that grabbing feel to them as they moved down the bore, like when you pull your damp hand over a smooth table top. But #3 basically just loaded. Same sabot (as best I know) and same bullet. But for some reason it took a dive and went to the right and low. I guess I could blame this on someone, but it was me doing the shooting. :wink:

4,5 &6 then followed and basically loaded the same as the others and hit where the others hit. To say I was impressed with that group would be an understatement. I was tickled to death. Then my friend pointed out as we stood there examining the target, me with a huge smile on my face... "missed the bulls eye."

I aimed a little over the bull for the next shot and #7 was born. End of argument there. I was swabbing with the same patch for almost the entire seven shots there.

After that I put some junk up that is fun to shoot and my friend and I shot all sorts of things but with some cheaper bullets.

I know I might have said this before, but I am so impressed with that Lehigh bolt conversion. I shot a number or rounds today and fouling in the breech of the rifle was basically non existent. There was a little fouling on the pin when I took the bolt apart. Nothing that did not clean right off. And there was no fouling on the scope, rings or mounts.

One place I have now noticed that fouling occurs. On the inside face of the breech plug around the outside edge. There is a slight groove and I had thought the plug was clean until I got some tooth picks and scraped that area clean. It really picks up fouling there. Other then that, what a great system.

Posted Image

This last picture means nothing in regard to shooting. It just turned out nice the way the sun was shining through the trees on the snow.. I thought you might like it.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

cayugad hmmm simple green eh? I may have to try that... I have an older Traditions sportster 209 that I like, but it gets filthy REAL quick.... I gotta pick up some more pyrodex pellets at some point, but it's bow season again and modern gun starts next weekend, so I think I'll wait, seeing as it's not a real pressing matter. LOL
Semper Fi

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

Looks like you have that Knight tamed for sure. Great shooting. I too am a real believer in those 300 grain projectiles. They have exceptional accuracy and Great game performance. Thanks for the pics.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

Yep Cayugad, that one shot that just goes south and nobody can tell WHY happens to everyone, :blink:
PA and I go through the same things at most bench sittings and get very frustrated when then happens. :blush:
Good shootin and man that snow on the ground gets me all giddy. :rolleyes::lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

Tonight I had a young buck so close to the house, that I could have counted the hairs on his you know what. I was worried because he was so close to the patio door. I have had a friend that had one come into his house under pretty much the same circumstances. So I walked up to the door and figured he'd run off. He did not. So I stood there and watched him until he wandered off. With the snow on the ground, the deer stood out like a sore thumb.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

He could have been checking to see if you were going to be naughty or nice. Sorry that snow on the ground made me do it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

He finally did leave when I started drooling... thinking about them back straps. :stir:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users