6 Elk Hunting Secrets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 huntersjournal

huntersjournal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:We are a local magazine aiming to preserve traditional hunting and the values it has wrought in America.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

Usethe Right Equipment

Whenit comes to big game, we want to cause as little suffering as possible. Forthis purpose, we must use the appropriate caliber for these big deer. Whichsize should we use then?

Theideal bullet size causes substantial hydrostatic shock inside the organs andtissues that is similar to the waves produced when you throw a stone into apond.

Popularcalibers for Elk hunting

7mmmag

.30-06

.300mag

.338mag

Practice300-yard shots in the field

Mostbeginners, who usually practice in the city, place their targets at very shortdistances (within 100 yards, an unrealistic and unsuitable distance for reallife hunting). At three times that distance, the force of gravity becomes animportant factor to consider.

Ask afarmer for permission to practice in his land to test how your rifle behaves inthe long distance with static targets.

Then, go a step further and start shooting varmints and moving targets.

For a Perfect Shot, Learn Anatomy

Perfectshots can only be possible if we know the anatomy of the animal. At the veryleast, we must visualize the location of the heart.

Broadsideelks offer the ideal angle. Conversely, a rear-end shot should be avoided,because the heart is hidden behind the rear legs. Muscle tissue and bones in the hindquartersand hips protect almost all the vital areas.

Aimat the Lungs

Theheart lies between the lungs. Since lungs are bigger than the heart, they offeran easier target. If you hit both lungs, the bullet will enter the heart aswell. The red spot in the image indicates the location of the heart. Wait untilthe animal moves forward the front leg on your side and aim behind the shoulderto avoid the shoulder bone.

Ofcourse, to aim at such a tiny target hundreds of yards away, you will have to…

…Use a Scope
Goodscopes are waterproof (trust us, you do not want to aim at the heart of a maleelk through a foggy lens). Four of fivepowers are OK.

Don'tShoot!
…unless you have good shot. Complying with tip #3, never shoot rear-end shots.

Well,those are today's little hunting secrets.

Pleasecheck out my facebook page and fan page. We are a local magazine aiming to preservetraditional hunting and the values it has wrought in America and would loveyour input. Thanks!

#2 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

I gotta say it may seem unethical but a well placed Butt shot can be a very deadly shot. There are alot of major arteries in the rear end of a animal, making it a viable shot. They will bleed out quickly and if it doesnt hit a major arterie hitting it in the hip will disable the animal and give you a chance to put it down quickly. So tip #7 should be somthiung like " if its wall worthy and you can only hit it in the butt take the shot and aim for the hip!"

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:58 AM

I dunno timothy, I had a cousin that gutted a whitetail with a .300wtby with a butt shot a few years back. And I mean almost totally gutted.
Semper Fi

#4 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

a hip shot not a pooper shot lol. or if you hit them in the meaty part of the hind quarters you will find some major arteries. there is alot more room for error but like i said if its that big trophy and its the only shot im gunna take it every time. if its a little forkie i want for the meat then im gunna pass it of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users