#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

Yesterday morning I shot a very nice 11 pointer and want to do a european style mount with it. Do you guys have any tips and tricks to do it? I just looked online and there are a lot of resources on it, but I wanted to get some input from people I actually trust on this. I don't want to mess this up with bad advice. I'm hoping to get started on it as soon as possible, and the head is in the freezer right now.

I'm just getting the pics now, so you can expect a full write-up on my experience soon!

Thanks
Eric
-Eric

#2 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

www.taxidermy.net its a forum base is taxidermist. it has alot of good stuff.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

Wow that sounds like a real trophy. Congratulations Eric and look forward to the story and pics. Don't have much to say about european mounts but have done a few. Mostly the wrong way.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

Congrats Eric.
I have several European mounts.
Dont boil if you dont have to!!!
Find someone that has the African beetles, they will clean it bare in a day.
Shouldnt cost much if ya just want the skull cleaned.
If ya cant find someone with beetles or ya cant afford the price then boil and pick is your option.
If you have to do it that way it can be done with out damaging the antler bases and teeth.
Slow boil, not fast.
Tie the head off by the antlers and keep the antler bases just above waterline.
Do not boil more than 10 minutes at a time.
Remove from the water and pick as much flesh and hide as you can.
Then let it lay till it cools completely.
Gotta let the heat out of the bone and antler so as not to damage them.
I have some that were painted white when done and one that was clear coated with a flat sealer.
I prefer the look with the sealer.
Have fun and enjoy your trophy. :peace:

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

I don't know how accurate it is, but I've heard that an ant hill works wonders on them, but seeing as you're in the north, most of the ant hills are in hibernation right now.... So I'm at a loss.
Semper Fi

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

Here in Missouri i simply skin the head completely. Then I wrap the antlers in a black plasic trash bag to keep them from bleaching. I hang the head in a tree high enough that dogs and such can't reach it. Then I let nature take it's course. We have beetles here that show up and do the job nicely, but it requires warm weather. Here's some examples.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 08 November 2010 - 06:52 PM.

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

Yep... If you're a patient individual, just leaving it outside (antlers covered!) can be all it takes once skinned. Bugs will do the hard work and the sun will bleach the skull. Of course, I dunno about this time of year in MN being good for bug action. :lol:

I've never boiled one. Reading some recommendations over the years on how to do so just makes me want to avoid it. I'd sooner pay a taxi to give it the beetle treatment. (They can also peroxide the skull for whiteness. But, again, the sun can do it for you over time.) Honestly, most folks I know who have boiled them say that it is such a mess that even the pot they used ended up being trashed. So, it might just be one of those things that isn't as cost-effective to do for yourself as you may think at first anyway.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

Well I guess I am not the only one that took the wrong turn a few times on trying to do a European mount. Beware, critters can knaw at the antlers too. I believe that squirrels did that to me once.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users