#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

Here is the buck I shot Saturday morning which was opening day of gun season here in MN. I pulled into the field drive I park in about 45 minutes before legal shooting light and saw a decent sized 6 point hopping away from my truck. Then, about 20 minutes before light I heard some rustling, which turned about to be a small doe, that I could just barely pick out in the twilight. This is about when I thought to myself that today could be a really good day.

At about 9:00 AM, just an hour or so after sunrise I heard a couple deer running towards me along the other side of the ravine (recall that this is the same place that I shot my button buck on Christmas last year). I looked up in time to first see a very nice doe and a brown blur trailing her. I saw the antlers, and time seemed to slow down to a crawl. As the buck chased the doe down the bottom and then up to my side of the ravine, I already had my sights leading the buck; just waiting for him to get into a clearing.

This is where it gets interesting: The moment the deer stepped into a clearing I shot once (20 yards) and then twice (15 yards) -missing high and then low, respectively. I have no idea how I could have missed at this range. Finally my third shot connected but hit just a bit forward, passing through both shoulders. The buck faltered a little bit and quartered away from me some, giving me just enough time to put another slug right behind the shoulder at about 8 or 9 yards, which exited a little ahead of my first shot.

I found him about 100 yards away in the cornfield. I don't think I have ever been that excited while hunting before. I plan on doing a European style mount with it sometime soon. Not the biggest buck any of us have ever seen, but at least for our area in my opinion, it doesn't get much better. For my first real buck, and first deer during firearms season in 4 years, not too bad.

Sorry about the weird face with this one, the sun was brutal that morning. Also was taken with my phone, so the quality isn't that great

Posted Image

Posted Image
-Eric

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

:clap:

Congratulations, Eric!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

NICE Eric!
Congrats!

#4 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

Congratulations great buck, good story also.:hunter:

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Way to go Eric! Well done!
Posted Image

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

Congrats Eric.:hunter:

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hey Eric that is a great buck. Congratulations. Those two misses are called buck fever. Also it contributes to the very excited feeling that continues for a while afterwards. All of us that have ever shot or shot at a deer get the same feeling. Great story too. Thank you.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Well done Eric. Looking forward to seeing your euro mount completed.

#9 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

Very nice deer, Iw ould love to shoot a wihte tail like that!

#10 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

Great deer Eric...Congrats!!!:clap:
Posted Image

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

Good for you brother--great work!

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#12 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

:clap: Way to go Eric. Yep I have been in your shoes also as trying to get another shot at close yards. :lol:

Doesn't get no better than that. :boone::boone:

Edited by Eric, 10 November 2010 - 06:21 PM.

AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#13 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

Way to go Eric... If memory serves, (and after the last couple of days it may be faulty) I think it was you that was talking about an 11-point that you were chasing. If I'm remembering right is this one and the same?
Semper Fi

#14 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Way to go Eric... If memory serves, (and after the last couple of days it may be faulty) I think it was you that was talking about an 11-point that you were chasing. If I'm remembering right is this one and the same?

That was a 12 point that my uncle saw while picking corn at the same place as this one was shot. That buck was supposed to be quite a bit larger than this one, so if it would have been shot by now word would have got around the countryside in a hurry.

Slug season continues through the 15th, and our party still has 5 tags to fill. Hopefully we can fill a majority of them.

Good luck to everyone that is out hunting this weekend!
-Eric

#15 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

Told ya I coulda been wrong :D
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users