2 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

Jason scored 3 boxes of Winchester Supreme Elite 160gr XP3 7mm Rem Mags. They are far from cheap and sure are a very wicked looking bullet. Anyone ever tried them? I'd love to find some in a .270.

Posted Image
The XP3 incorporates several popular bullet design features. These include a translucent red polycarbonate tip that resists deformation in the magazine and improves the ballistic coefficient, as does the new bullet's boat-tail heel shape. The plastic tip also initiates the expansion of the bullet by driving down into the front cavity on impact and splitting open the front of the bullet, much like the new Barnes MRX bullet, which in some respects is a similar (but independent) approach to bullet design..

The front half of the XP3 bullet body is lead free, being made of solid gilding metal (a copper alloy that avoids the copper fouling problem inherent in pure copper bullets). The back half has a conventional lead core similar to the rear core of a Nosler Partition bullet. Unlike a Nosler Partition (but like a Swift A-Frame) the rear lead core is bonded to the outer gilding metal jacket. The general effect is sort of like grafting the back half of a Nosler Partition bullet to the front half of a Barnes MRX bullet. As a finishing touch, the bullet receives Winchester's proprietary Lubalox black coating to reduce engraving force and barrel fouling.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

I have not shot a center fire factory cartridge in many years as I reload all mine and even make my own 22 cal bullets. I do use Nosler partitions in my 7mm mag but have never recovered any. All I can say is they leave an awesome wound channel and are the most accurate bullet in both Erics and my rifles.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

I've wanted to go lead free for my 30-06 but the cost of ammo is prohibitive when a box of pmc ammo is 1/2 the cost of a copper round. I dont like to shoot 3 rounds & say ok Im good for the year. I like to practice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users