• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

Eric had off on Friday and we went back to camp. We covered a lot of territory and did not even see any turkey sign. Lots of deer sign though. At around 2 in the afternoon we decided to scout across the valley from home. We jumped a huge bird and then another sailed down off the mountain just before dark. We planned on being there this morning. We got there a few minutes late and watched about 8 birds sail down the mountain across some fields and land in a tree about 100 yds or so from the truck. We jumped out and ran toward them to scatter the flock. We only partially succeeded. We then went to where they flew into the woods and set up but nothing replied to our calls. That may have been a flock of mature gobblers as they were all really big birds. We then went up to the edge of the woods on the mountain and planned on walking the side of the mountain about 3/4 of a mile. We only went about 200 yds when Eric heard a bird calling down the very steep fields. I went down to the upper field edge while Eric took care of some personl business. I saw two birds about 200 yds away at the lower field edge. We decided to work our way down to a stone fence row closing the distance to about 130 - 150 yds. We both had our Sako 222 rem rifles and I felt pretty confident at that distance. At my shot I heard the distinct whump of a hit. A second or so after the shot birds erupted from below us not by 1s and twos but by the 10s. A conservative estimate was 50 birds but there could have been as many as 75. What a sight to see. We gathered our stuff and hurried down the two remaining fields that are head high with weeds. We found my bird a mature hen and as I was filling out my tag the flock bagan calling to each other. We quickly set up again and I handed Eric my rifle as he has not shot a bird with it. A few minutes later 8 or 9 birds came out into the field below us and I called with my lynch box call and they all stopped over 100 yds away and at the crack of the rifle all but 1 ran off. So far this has been a pretty good year. Eric scored on a spring longbeard, a deer with his muzzleloader and now a fall bird. I also scored on a spring gobbler, 2 deer (one in Kansas) with my muzzleloader and a mature hen so far. Hmmm not bad for an old geezer but with a new set of eyes.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 13 November 2010 - 05:32 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:46 PM

Congrats to you both. today was opening day of firearms season for us. Jason saw a monster buck, second time once bowhunting, but it was weaving through brush and thick cedar growth so no shot. I hunted hard all day but saw nothing but turkey and squirrels. Wasn't the best day for hunting as it was extremely windy all day. Sooo, home now hungry, a bit frozen, and quite tired. Tomorrow's another day and I'll be back at it before daylight. :D

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

We had a perfect day with temps at daybreak of 23 degrees, a very clear sky and no wind at all. By noon the temps were up to near 60 degrees. Here are a couple of pics of our birds.

Posted Image

Here is one in the field

Posted Image

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

Paul, I hope I'm half as spry as you are when I'm you're age. LOL. You get out and move and keep going. That's a very good thing. Great story, great birds, good times. Keep on posting buddy.
Semper Fi

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

Barely recognized you without your glasses. :P

Congrats you two!

Man, I had birds all around me today, but all just out of range. Could have killed two different doe (as I did have the crossbow), but neither was particularly big and it was my last tag. Oh well... A lot of folks I know have had good years hunting PA in 2010. :thumbsup: :hunter:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

Thank you Jere your post means a lot. Many folks have commented about my not wearing glasses but I have found it to be quite comfortable. I do find myself reaching to take my glasses off as I get in bed. I guess old habits do die hard.

This was my first bird with a rifle and I have found they are kinda hard to hold still long enough for a shot no matter what the distance.

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

I've never taken a turkey with a rifle. So, you're one-up on me, brother. Congrats again. :)

I see Eric was wearing his C.A.S.T.E.R.S. hat... I wore mine yesterday too.

Posted Image

sig_admin.png

#8 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

Way to go!

#9 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

I've never taken a turkey with a rifle.

I see Eric was wearing his C.A.S.T.E.R.S. hat... I wore mine yesterday too.

Posted Image

Yep, two turkeys with my C.A.S.T.E.R.S hat on this year so I think I found my new lucky charm (I don't believe in luck) lol. Some day you should try turkey huntin with a rifle, it is not as easy as people think. :peace:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

Some day you should try turkey huntin with a rifle, it is not as easy as people think. :peace:

If I were allowed to in my WMUs I would have tried it by now for sure, Eric. Closest place I could try it would be Oil City / West Hickory area and I haven't hunted up that way in a good five years now.

sig_admin.png

#11 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:59 PM

Way to go, Paul. Try 748 Winchester if you are rolling your own for the triple deuce. You will be pleasantly surprised.

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

RG those 222s were both bench rest queens. We roll our own bullets for everything but turkey and with a 6 1/2 rem primer igniting 23.0 grains of BLC-2 those two rifles can make a ragged hole at 100 yds. My father-in-law had many years ago tested them with just about everything available at that time. I may try something but I really don't know how much more accurate I can get them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users