• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

In Sept when I was in Kansas my son-in-law gave me some cast lead bullets in .452 in 300 grain. My 300 grain Hornadys are .452 so I must make some time to shoot a few to see how they group out of both my Knight inline and my one flintlock using the Harvester crush rib sabot. If they work I will be gathering up some lead and heading west to make bullets next time I go out. Neat thing is those bullets can be made a little harder than a pure lead as the sabot is the only thing touching the barrel. I always have found wheel weights and that would work for these bullets.

Not to worry I have done lead casting before and know the dangers involved.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 17 November 2010 - 08:54 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

Paul, I've been thinking about the tire weights for a while, since I don't cast my own bullets I'm leaning more towards my fishing pursuits. Before fishing season, I'm gonna start hitting up the tire shops around here to see about getting the used ones they're just gonna trash anyways..... I'm thinking if I make some good plaster casts of manufactured bank sinkers, then I should be able to save about $200 on lead this fishing season if not more.....
Semper Fi

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

Yes wheelweights would work fine for fishing sinkers. Wheelweights are not pure lead but that doesn't matter in sinkers. Just be very careful when working with that molten metal, both in fumes and an inadvertant splash. That stuff is really hot.

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Paul, I'm thinking lay the wheel weights in a funnel of some sort and use a butane torch to heat them to melting and let it drip.... just cause those 4 and 5 ounce bank sinkers get to costing quite a bit real quick.
Semper Fi

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

That may work ok but an old pan or pot can be used with a torch for heat and melt it all at once. Don't worry about the metal clips they will float to the top and you can skim them off with the dross i.e. cloudy dirty scum that forms on the top. You would most likely get a better sinker if you poured your mould all at once. Unlike a bullet the outside doesen't have to look real pretty and there is no problem with a little air pocket either. My son-in-law uses the propane burner from his turkey deep fryer and I have used my little two burner propane camp stove.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 18 November 2010 - 07:00 PM.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

I used to make all my cast bullets from wheel weights until I was told it would lead up my bore. But I do understand what you are saying about since they are in a sabot that should not be the problem. Although good for targets, they might be a little too hard for hunting. You might not get expansion like you want.

My Knights really like a 300 grain bullet as well.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 NuJudge

NuJudge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

Wheelweights have changed. Most new cars have wheelweights made of Zinc, and a lot of tire shops are using Zinc wheelweights also. The last 5-gallon bucket of wheelweights I scrounged was mostly Zinc. A small bit of Zinc in a large pot of Lead will wreck the Lead for bullet casting purposes, giving it the consistency of sand mixed with syrup.

There are ways to deal with the Zinc: sort to remove them, and when you do melt them, melt at as low a temperature as possible. I don't have my reference books here, but IIRC wheelweights should melt below 650F, and Zinc melts above 700F, and the Zinc should be left floating on top of the Lead.

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

Wheelweights have changed...

I have heard this as well.
Thanks for the information.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

I have not played with wheel weights in ages. But with this new information, I guess it will be a lot longer before I mess with them now. Thanks for the information.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#10 NuJudge

NuJudge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

A few threads on Zinc wheelweights and how to not have them screw up your pot of Lead:
http://castboolits.g...ead.php?t=40765
http://castboolits.g...ead.php?t=62957
http://castboolits.g...ead.php?t=63082

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users