• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

The wife and I got back from our Kansas Trip yesterday. My son-in-law and I both had terrible colds the whole time. Just try hunting turkeys when you both are coughing your lungs out :lol: We headed out on the 13th to hunt. We set up where we have for several years and immediately got gobbling responses from a bunch of birds (6-10 at least). The only bird that came to our setup was a bearded hen. I nearly convinced myself to shoot the novelty but kept thinking of a clutch of eggs somewhere so I let her walk. She had about a six inch beard. Later that morning I was in another setup and had a group of turkeys come in behind me. I turned to try to get a shot but the one that had came running was a hen and she was only about 15 yds away. Just then several toms ran into the woods to my right and a huge gobble came from behind me (my original position to shoot) I turned and there was a big flock with a huge gobbler in the middle. No shot. One other day I had a gobbler coming in and a tree fell on the sidehill and scared it off. We finally set up near a strut zone and 3 birds showed up and I managed to get a 22 lb tom with an 11 inch beard and 1 1/8 in spurs. I managed to get another shot off the last morning but failed to connect on that bird. In all we saw turkeys every day and gobblers nearly every time. The toms were very henned up and the subordinate toms much have had their clocks cleaned a time or two because they were hesitant about coming in to the calls. We even crawled on our hand and knees and bellies for about 100 yds trying to get closer to a couple of strutting toms but got busted instead. We had a great time though.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:02 PM

Glad to hear that you had a good trip, visit, and hunt. Glad you all made it home safely. Hope you left your cold in Kansas :)
Posted Image

#3 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:23 PM

congrats :D i just got back from Missouri had bird come in everyday but no shots hung up just out of range plus it rained all but the first day

#4 GP@AZ

GP@AZ

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:48 AM

Personaly I would have shot the Hen a clutch of eggs ya maybe. But with as many turkeys in that region, They are almost becoming pests to the farmers. after the hatch they group back up. And can remove two rows of beans in one morning just palnted the previous day. But thats ok It would have been a great trophy none the less. :D While deer hunting I have seen 5 flocks of 40 plus birds in less than a five mile radious in Kansas.

Edited by GP@AZ, 30 April 2005 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users