White-Tail W/ Firearm

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

I stand by taking a head/neck shot. If it's close enough that I can make a good shot, and ensure the deer will not suffer, I will take it. I hunt in areas that if the deer runs, you most likely will not find it or may end up on someone else's property. I'm not gonna take a 200yd neck or head shot with my 30/30, but a 0-50yd shot with my 30/30, I would. With my shotgun, I'd limit to 30yds on a head/neck shot. I was taught in the Marines 1 shot, 1 kill. I'm not completely dismissing a heart/lung shot, but it depends on alot of factors. I've heard of deer being wounded by people who took shots that exceeded their capabilities, or just weren't a good shot to begin with, I don't want that on my conscience.
Semper Fi

#17 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:33 AM

I'm a bit late on this topic but back in 06 i took a nice 8pt. by a neck shot , 1 shot and he ran 15yds and was down,

normally i do not go for any kind of shot other than the vitals. I killed an 8pt. 17" inside spread at fort Knox Sat. nov 27. 30 yd. shot with 870 rem . Vital area shot. He ran

20 yds and expired .

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users