• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

I actually have two. One is a reworked Sako heavy barrel in 222 Rem. The other is a custom rifle that used to be a pre 64 Winchester model 70 in 30-06 and is now a 7mm T&R Mag which is nearly identical to the Rem 7mm mag but is the most accurate big game rifle I have. Both of these rifles can make a ragged hole at 100 yds as long as the nut that holds the trigger stays tight and focused. What is yours?

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 18 December 2010 - 09:24 AM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:41 PM

Browning B-78 in .243 with a bull barrel, Harris extended bipod and a Leopold 3.5X10 on top. And you're right about the hardware behind the trigger for sure!

I've also got a Marlin model 56 Levermatic .22 with a reworked trigger and Lymen peeps that does pretty well within it's range.

Geoff / TBow

Edited by Geoff / TBow, 27 January 2011 - 11:46 PM.

Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Marlin 336w.... I can drive tacks with it LOL
Semper Fi

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Mine is my (old.. 1984) Ruger M77 in a 7mm mag. It has a Tasco World Class scope on it, and my friends and I named her Ma Bell. Because she can reach out and touch someone (like their old commercial used to say). I have shot deer at some hard to believe distances, and on the target range, I know the rifle is more accurate then I can hold it. It's one draw back is it hates all ammo except Remington Core Lock. With the Remington's I get the best accuracy. I have tried a lot of expensive cartridges in it, but I always go back to Remington.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

Another rifle I own that I seldom shoot is a model 99 Japanese Arisiaka 7.7 bolt action rifle. It has a Lyman peep sight on it. And I shoot Norma 7.7 165 grain boat tails out of it. The rifle is in terrible shape. It was a hand me down from my father who brought two of them back with him from the pacific somehow. He cut the barrel down, the stock down, but that thing will (for an open sight) flat out shoot.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

Come to think of it I have a Knight Bighorn that is very accurate also. Of course when you don't have a second shot you have to make the first one count. Infact that is what my dad taught me many years ago. He would say "Boy if you make the first shot a good one you don't need any more". That has stuck with me all these years as I am now a grandpa myself.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hard to say but I'm lucky enough to own 3 very accurate rifles;

1) T/C Encore .270 - Will put them through the same hole at 100 yards

2) Savage Model 64 .22 - most accurate .22 I've ever shot

3) Optima Pro .50 - Even more accurate than my Knight MK-85 was and it was very accurate

#8 killthemquick89

killthemquick89

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

My ruger m77 mark 2 in 7 mag shooting balstic silver tips can drive tacks with it all day long

And my lrb firearms ar 15 in 223 16 inch stainless free float bull barrel with a polished m16 trigger at around 3 1/2 pounds of pull

#9 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

A Rem 742 30-06 I recenlty found stashed in my closet from a few yrs ago. Since I'm selling everything it'll prob be one of the few rifles I keep since it's accuracy and performance are amazing.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

I was tempted to list my Remington Woodsmaster Carbine 30-06 in my list also. It is a very accurate rifle. And I mounted a Tasco World Class 3-9x40mm on it also. (I was so impressed with the one I put on the 7mm magnum). I normally hunt thickets with the rifle and shoot 180 grain Remington Core Lock ammo out of it. It's always knocked the deer down.

I owned this rifle since 1960's and even then, when I purchased it, it was second hand. I had wanted a deer rifle of my own, and my Dad made me work my you know what off all summer and save my money. Then for my birthday he told me he would pay for half of the rifle of my choice. Well we went to a nice gun shop and I was looking at a 308 Remington bolt rifle, but Dad saw that used 30-06 and decided that was the best deal in the store (also a lot cheaper then the new Remington 308), so that was the rifle I was told to purchase.

That semiautomatic rifle has never jammed, and it shoots real straight. The only reason I purchased my 7mm mag was ... I had booked an elk hunt. And the guide was NOT impressed with my 30-06 carbine. He told me that a 7mm mag was the recommended rifle. So that is what I got. My elk came out under 100 yards. I could have knocked it down with a 30-30 or my 30-06 but it was a easy shot with the 7mm mag also.

#11 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

At this point since I have a job and bought some rifles in last 6 months and sold the 742 I mentioned above, my best shooter is a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06. It has shot 1.5" groups at 300yrds with HSM 165btsp ammo. It came with a Deerfield scope which I was gonna change out, but as it is the brightest scope Ive seen in 50 yrs of shooting I thought best to keep it on the 06 and let well enough alone.

Currently I'm wringing out a Mod 70 Blk Shadow in 300 Win Mag. I did shoot one 3.5" group with it at 300 last Sat but I think with diff ammo it will do better repeatedly. I'm still in the zeroing process and ran out of time on Sat. I've had three Blk Shadows in 7mm Rem Mag and this gun shoots so much differently and better that it deserves more of my attention. Compared to the 7mm's I had the recoil of the 300 is mild to say the least, even with the 180gr ammo I'm zeroing with, altho my two US Army shooting friends from Ft Carson think its a sledgehammer.

I was so happy with Wby Vanguard 06 that I bought another Vanguard in sstl in .338 Win Mag cal thinking it'll be my AK gun if I ever go again, as I plan to do. It came with a Bushy 3-9x40 which I promptly removed and put on a new Vector 1.5-5x20 with German #3 reticle. This kept the .338 nice and light to carry and use for close shots on grizzers or bigfoots should I need that, and still be able to well take a 300y shot at whatever. But I have not taken time to shoot it yet or do more than bore sight it. House repairs will keep me from wringi it out for a few more weeks I think.

Edited by silvertip-co, 30 March 2012 - 08:56 PM.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users