• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Today after church Eric, his wife and kids were here for lunch. After lunch Eric helped me to mount the scope straight on my inline and I really like this scope. I then got out my flintlock and was sorely tempted to take a few shots but looked at the thermometer and gave up on that idea. I did put a sling on it so I'll be ready for Monday the 27th flintlock opener. I must shoot it a couple of times just to be sure it is still right on. We then began looking for better peep/receiver sights and found a couple that may work. The williams receiver sight looks very promising but there was no info on what size the dovetail is so I could determine if it would fit my base. I just may get one and move it back more towards the lock to give me a longer sight radius but then I would have to drill and tap some new holes to accomodate it. I suppose that once I got a peep sight like I want and get it installed like I want they will approve scopes to be used. I also have been cleaning out my blackpowder box. It is a really big one but still cannot put all the stuff for inline shooting and flintlock shooting in it together.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

Well it is never to cold to shoot... But that is just me. I will guess that your Bighorn with a scope will be an easy 150 yard rifle. As for peep sights, the Williams is a nice sight, I have one on a Traditions. And like you, had a gun smith mount if further back then the rear sight. It sure made an accurate rifle out of that thing. I had a nice peep made by T/C on one of my Renegades, but sold it.

Peeps on the range are hard to beat. In the woods where last minute shadows hide big brush deer, they can be a little problem. Practice with that ghost ring if you can. Also check out Tru Glow sights. They have some that take the place of the rear ramp sight and even have fiber optics (if that is legal for you) embedded around the peep so they stand out in poor light conditions.

Good luck with your hunting and your rifles!!! And the best of the holidays to you and your family.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Currently I have a truglo red front sight. I have a sort of receiver sight locally made by RMC that essentially is a peep sight but is mounted so far forward on the barrel that the front sight even as small as it is nearly fills the hole. What I mean by a sort of peep sight is the sight is essentially a hole with the very top open. Until just a couple of years ago we could not use peep sights on a muzzleloader. This was a compromise that was still legal. With my new eyesight since my cataract surgery I am now far sighted and takes some getting used to when shooting open sights. I was nearsighted before and could see the rear sight well but not the front sight. Now I can see the front sight well but the rear sight is fuzzy. I believe that a fuzzy hole would be easier for me to see than two fuzzy green dots. If I could find one of those Williams sights just to see if it would fit the dovetail on my present ramp. I am going to struggle through with the sight I have for now but as soon as the flintlock season closes will be looking into the possibility of a new sight and maybe moving it back about 4 or 5 inches. I do not want the rear sight next to the pan or I would consider even further back.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users