5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

My daughter and son-in-law are both on leave from the Navy and will be here tonight. Her husband,David, asked if I would teach him how to load and care for a muzzleloader. He may want to buy one too so I'll give him advice on the differant styles and makes. I think a CVA Wolf, package deal with accessories to get started, would be a good choice. They are good little guns and reasonably priced. Soooo, Jason is loaning him an Optima 209 and I'll be teaching David the ropes. Will see how he likes the Optima. Not a whole lot of differances between it and a Wolf. As icing on the cake we are taking David to my brother-in-law's for the last two days of Muzzleloader Season. Due to being ill I wasn't able to hunt much our last trip. Am really looking forward to it and plan on getting a doe for the freezer. I have just the spot to put David where he'll have a pretty good chance to see deer. It would really make my day, and his too, for him to get one. If he does he'll have Sameee make most of it into jerkey. lol It's sooo cool, and a really good feeling, to be able to pass on knowledge and skills. David seems to think I'm a hunting guru so I'll do my best to live up to expectations. Hey, it's nice to be apreciated. :lol: I'll let you all know how it goes. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post. :D Can hardly wait till my grand-daughters are old enough to hunt. The oldest, 9 yrs, wants me to take her turkey hunting. That would be sooooo cool! She told me that "Gobble Gobble" means "I Love You" in turkey talk. :lol:

Edited by Spirithawk, 26 December 2010 - 03:38 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

Getting ready myself for tomorrows opener of our flintlock season. Know the feeling you are trying to convey, yes a little hard to explain but very real nontheless. Good luck to you guys but don't you over do it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

Norm that's terrific, we need all the folks we can get to take an interest in the outdoor life. In as many ways as possible. At 9 years old your oldest grand-daughter should be able to hit the woods with you. The more kids we can recruit the longer out sport will live on.
Semper Fi

#4 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

That is great that you are getting him into hunting. When i came home on military leave with my wife (then girlfriend) to meet her family my father in law got me on some elk behind his house and i got to take down a nice yearling. that was 3 years ago since then i have been hunting non stop. spread my wings a little bit and killed some nice bucks, alot of elk, some antelope and this year i bought a hound and hanve been learning from my father in law the ropes on hunting coons, bob cat and mountain lions. He has become one of my best friends.

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

Way to go Norm. It's a great feeling when you can pass on knowledge that has been learned over the centuries. :whistle: Not that I'm calling you "OLD" , but........o:) :lol: . I am the same. All that they have to do is ask.:thumbsup:

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

Thanks guys. Well, my son-in-law had a blast, litteraly. He saw several deer and even got a shot at one though he missed. Jason scored a nice healthy doe on Tuesday morning. I saw two does early Saturday but couldn't get a clear shot through the brush. I probably could of scored on one but just didn't want to risk a poor shot. Unfortunately one morning of being in the cold air was a bit much for me. I was stuck inside for the rest of the trip. Still it was loads of fun and seeing Jason and David have fun was enough for me. David is now hooked and is shopping for his very own muzzleloader so mission accomplished. ;) I even made a big batch of jerky marinated in Jabenero sauce and Jalapeno sauce and liquid smoke that turned out awesome. Added a few other ingredients but since it is so good it is now my secret recipe. :lol: Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year! :peace:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users