• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

Today was the first day of PAs Flintlock deer season. Normally it is my most looked for time. The temp when I left the house was a balmy 18 degrees normally not a problem. The noreaster that is plaguing the entire east coast did not drop any snow here in central PA but the wind was downright brutal blowing 20 to 30 mph with gusts much higher. That made that 18 degrees feel like you were standing in a freezer in a hurricane. We managed to be out most of the day. We have clothing to combat the cold but with the wind driving it into every pore of the body it was tough to take when on stand. We actually did see deer but no shots presented themselves. I think I will be ok when my eyeballs thaw out as that was the only exposed skin most of the day.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

We actually did see deer but no shots presented themselves.

Did you forget the push you did to me that produced the small doe that I gave the pass too. :P
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

Man Paul, sounds like a miserable hunt. I know around here when it is windy no deer action especially 20-30mph. My bones do not take missery anymore. You are one tough ol bird!!

Steve

#4 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

My archery season ends Dec. 31st here in Ontario. I too was out this morning. It was -14 C (7 F) and with the wind chill factor it was supposed to feel like -22 C (-8 F). I can believe that. I headed into my stand at 5:30 a.m. I dressed light for the walk in, but dawned a whole mess of warm clothing when I got to my stand. My son used about 4 of those heater packs in his mitts and boots and we managed to stay out until about 10:00 a.m. We saw 2 deer, but no shots presented themselves at any shooters. 4 more days to go. The weather is supposed to get a lot milder here Thursday and Friday.

Good luck Paul in the Primitive Season.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

We saw deer with one being passed up as it was a small deer. We do not need the meat so the little ones get a pass. We did discover very early that the deer were not high on the ridges but are down in the thick stuff at the bottom. Many of the places down low have been logged and to add to the problems hunting these areas we had an early snow storm a couple of years ago that hit while the oaks and maples were still in full leaf and it just broke and knocked over trees all over. Odd thing is those downed limbs and trees still have leaves on them. Of course this opened up the canopy and a proliferation of weeds, briars and successional saplings make a real tangle to try to hunt. I recall at one spot my hat was being pulled from my head and I was being all caught up in a wild rose bush with both arms up in the air and standing on one foot not being able to move and hearing an animal running out in front of me. Turned out it was a small doe that ran right to Eric but he chose not to shoot.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users