Photo

Huck and Leo what are you taking to Africa?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

I know you two are going in about a month and I was wondering what you are planning on using - setups on your equipment, bows, broadheads, mechanicals or fixed, etc. Practising everyday or every other day and at what distances? I'm more curious about how two experienced bowhunters are getting ready for safari time in the dark continent. ;) I would guess some of us might think about doing this someday and what to do to prepare for it.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

I guess I get to share my setup First :)

BOW: Bowtech Extreme Solo Set at 70lbs 31inch Draw
Arrows: Redhead Carbon Furies (Cheap I know, but I flat ruin some arrows practicing)
Broadheads: 100gr Montec G5s and 100gr Rocket Hammerheads (For small stuff)
Sight: Tru-Glo Tritium pin
Peep: Timberline No-Peep w/Kisser button

String Silencers: NONE (see silencing)
Stabilizer: NONE (see silencing)

Silencing: STS (replaces need for string silencers and stabilizer), Limb Savers on limbs

Release: Fletchunter and Carter Quickie

Removing the string silencers and peep optimizes bow speed.

465 gr total arrow weight at 272fps(That was with stuff on the string probably faster now) is 76 ft-lbs K.E. should be good for up to Eland. General wisdom is 80Ft-Lbs is bare minimum for Cape Buffalo, which I will not be pursuing.

I practice out to 35yds but not as often as I would like. It just wears me out too bad.
When I have the opportunity I can practice out to 50yds I just don't like to. Mikey is probably the only one on this board who has ever seen me shoot that far. He is accompaning us to Africa as well.

I can rent a rifle if I need to, while I'm there. And I might do that considering how spooky the game is acting.
Posted Image

#3 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:14 PM

Leo, sounds like all you have left is to be there. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

To Do list.

Still waiting on my plane ticket. SAA is discontinuing flights out of Atlanta.

One more round of Hepatitis Immunizations and pick up my prescriptions.

Get my form 4457 signed by CBP.

Have to call my Credit Card company to insure they won't shut it off first time I try it over there.
Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

Leo thank you. I knew you would have a handle on this trip and sounds like you have thought of stuff I wouldn't have thought of like the hepa shots. I took those once before for another trip plus recommended meds for malaria.

Leo when is your departure day?

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 10 July 2006 - 06:48 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:42 PM

Aug 22nd Rowdy.

1. I should get my tickets by the end of next week. Got a confirmation email today :)

2. The next round of Hep shots are the 31st of this month. Can you say ouch! (Not that bad but I know I will be sore a couple days.) Dropped off the scripts at the phamacy today. (Malarone and Doxycycline) This is a supposedly Malaria free zone. Malaria can kill you. I'm not going to chance it. We don't take Malaria seriously enough in this country. I sure don't want it. Malarone apparently really gives wild dreams. Since I don't hardly sleep anyway, I figure what the heck! Maybe I'll dream Disney dreams... AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH! (Biggest nightmare of my life Bambi, a 10pt, gets away!!!)

3. The 4457 form is turning out to be an adventure. The Border Patrol phone system, for the office I'm trying to contact is totally whacked. It gives you extension numbers to dial that are wrong and then disconnects you when you enter one! I finally guessed a "right" extension(not one of the list of choices) and was able to leave a message, hopefully I will hear back tomorrow. If I don't I am tracking down another office somewhere in this state to help me.

Still gotta do this.

Need to add.

4. Get Taxidermist ship labels. I've managed to squirrel away enough for one good mount :) Wilson Taxidermy that does quite a few mounts for Wilderness Lodge has alot of African Taxidermy experience. They've done two mounts for me in the past. They are definately good and reliable. Hopefully, I get something worthy of their services over there. :) (Everybody think Kudu OK)
Posted Image

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

Is it August 21st Yet? The heck with September. :rofl:

You are absolutely right Leo - malaria will kill you and I took something back in 2002 like the stuff you're talking about giving you some wild and crazy dreams. Heck I don't remember most of what I did yesterday and lets say good dreams weren't my biggest worry.

Kudu - Kudu -Kudu with some african native drum beat rythmically driving it home something like the old tarzan movie natives chanting - now everybody say it - Kudu - Kudu - Kudu I can't hear you Phil! :lol:

Absolutely Leo I'm with you Kudu are majestic looking - take a great specimen and bring it on home.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 11 July 2006 - 02:55 PM.

#8 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

I guess it's my turn...

I'm shooting my PSE Stingray set at 79lbs. My draw lenght is 28.5 inches and I'm lauching a Gold Tip Pro hunter 7595. The arrow mass is about 407 grains. It's clipping out of my bow just under 300 feet per second (298). I've calculated the Kinetic energy somewhere around 79 ft-lbs.

I'm using a Scott release. My bow does have limb savers, but I don't not have things attached to the string (speed kills).

I have been practicing normally between 30 and 50 yards. When it's been windy, I step in and shoot 20. Honestly, I'm preparing for elk!

I'm still totally up in the air on broadhead choice. Flyfisher (mikey) and I have been playing around with broadheads (he's going too). We're trying to destroy broadheads by shooting them into 3/4" plywood (every shot was 12" away from prior shots. We did not want to compromise the test). There are a few things both he and I are discoverying.

1) Many mechanicals do penetrate as well as fixed blades.
2) Every mechanical is more accurate than fixed blades.
3) It seems fixed blades are more durable than mechanicals, but there are some mechanicals that hold up equally as well (Wasp Jak-hammer for example).
4) Heavier arrows do not necessarily mean deeper penetration.

Here's what I'm thinking:

The lion and eland will be shot with a 100 grain Wasp Jak-Hammer (unless I find something better). I had the same penetration with this broadhead as I did with any fixed blade I shot. I shot it through the plywood 33 times and there was hardly any sign of wear. It expanded every time it was shot...without fail! It was extremely accurate!

On the small fleet-footed critters (e.g. springbok), I'm shooting a 100 grain Rocket Hammerhead. I want to open these little guys up so they do not run far.

On the medium to large game (gemsbok, hartebeest, waterbuck) I'm shooting either a 100 grain Deadhead Reaper or a 100 grain Grim Reaper...still testing a bit.

I will not take a shot unless the animal is totally broadside! I learned a valuable lesson in Texas with the water buffalo.

I taking two video cameras and three slr cameras (one digital).

Yep, I'm getting excited!

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 10 July 2006 - 10:01 PM.

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

I'm curious if you tested G5s Montec head.

I haven't been able to prove this, but it seems to me as a general rule of thumb.

The closer your total arrow weight in grains is to two times your velocity in ft per second the better your penetration.

And no I really don't know why. It just always seems the sweet spot for bow performance hangs around that ratio.

Maybe you and Mikey can play with that notion a little ;)
Posted Image

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

Thank you Huck - man I knew you two or three were getting things down. Thanks again for all the information and if one of us wants to go to where Tarzan called home we all have a better idea what it might take to go. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We all will be in your corner for sure.

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:16 PM

Hey! No fair, who is going to Africa without me? :'( :'( :'(

Leo get a nice, did I say nice? Get a GREAT Kudu and mount that one for sure, absolutely a beautiful animal.

Huck don't get into a bind on that lion, I got plans for us (ie: Iowa, Nebraska, Kentucky, Texas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Zealand..........Africa......... well you get the point!)

Be safe boys

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#12 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:04 PM

After about 12 phone calls, finally got the appointment with customs to get my 4457 signed :)

My insurance kicked out the Malarone script :(. So I'll have to see what my Doctor says is a substitute. Either that or $160 out of pocket. OUCH!

Taxidermy shipping labels on the way :)

Getting closer.
Posted Image

#13 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hey Leo:

Mikey talking at ya.
Huck suggests I take my circa 1967 homemade (popular mechanics) compound on our Africa expedition. I've been practicing with cattail arrows and some points I found up on the flat tops some years back. Don't know the grains, but the flint sure punctures that cardboard. As far as my sights, God willing I'll be able to see. Thought I might try to take something small to get the feel. What do you think?? :D

#14 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

Hey Leo:

Mikey talking at ya.
Huck suggests I take my circa 1967 homemade (popular mechanics) compound on our Africa expedition. I've been practicing with cattail arrows and some points I found up on the flat tops some years back. Don't know the grains, but the flint sure punctures that cardboard. As far as my sights, God willing I'll be able to see. Thought I might try to take something small to get the feel. What do you think?? :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How much y'all wanna bet Mikey knows EXACTLY what he's doing ;)
Posted Image

#15 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:35 PM

Now that's funny!

Leo, what were you saying about lion bait? I think me may have found something (or someone) :o)
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users