• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Heres some info and stats that include unit 45 ( E3 ;) )

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/2...teRiverGMUs.pdf
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

OOPS SORRY I HAD THE WRONG LINK, HERES THE RIGHT ONE

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/8...rValleyGMUs.pdf
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:46 PM

Wow,
Area 45 looks like the place to be for 3rd & 4th rifle seasons !
Posted Image

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

Hmmm Moose in 45?? i'm gonna be watching alot harder now LOL i guess paddles pass, spikes shoot? LOL
Semper Fi

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

At least one cow moose a year is shot mistakenly by a non-resident thinking it was a cow elk. Last year one starpped her to his car and brought it in to show the G&F.

They will have no sympathy and shouldn't. That can be a very expensive mistake.

Terry no moose for you! LOL

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

Marty, that's why i'm only gonna shoot one with bones, so i know for a fact what i'm shooting LOL
Semper Fi

#7 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

Phil,

you must take those stats with a grain of salt. Our DOW randomly picks hunters from out of the blue. They call people and ask if they had a "nice experience". It is not an accurate count whatsoever! We do not game check things here...

Area 45 tends to have higher elevations than most area in the state. The reason the 3rd and 4th seasons seem to be better, is simple. The elk are driven down from the high country and slaughtered as they concentrate. Look at the number of cows harvested...that's a dead give away. I would be more impressed with the number of bulls killed during the first three seasons (archery, muzzle, and second rifle). :D

The total number of bulls killed in area 44 has my attention. :yes: Statistically speaking though, area 45 has the best success rate of all those listed during the archery season. I'm sure the fine folks from this site can help throw that percentage to over 20! ;)

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 09 July 2006 - 09:15 PM.

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:58 AM

Huck, i'm gonna be taking your advice to heart, west face early, brush mid day, then late evening west face again right? :D
Semper Fi

#9 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

Hmmm Moose in 45?? i'm gonna be watching alot harder now LOL i guess paddles pass, spikes shoot? LOL

I havent seen moose there yet but I think I know where to look. The one place I know I can hike you into with a blindfold on and when take it of you'll think you are in AK. THeres elk there too but it's walky
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#10 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

NO, NO,NO, Terry....

South and east slopes early, north side for the rest of the day. Look for cool damp spots during the day. The natural cooling effect of these areas attract elk. ELK DO NOT LIKE TO BE HOT. The moment the sun climbs into the sky, they hightail it for the shade. South and east slopes tend to be the place where all the food grows. But you will rarely catch them there during daylight hours. ;)
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#11 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:46 AM

OK Huck LOL i've slept since then, when i get up there i may have you write that down for me LOL
Semper Fi

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:20 AM

Terry that is all right. I am confused too. I am just getting North down pat and here Huck throws East and South. You mean I gotta learn them too. Aw man how am I gonna learn them before Elkatraz. I think there is another direction not mentioned man I better hit the books.

So far I have mastered the on/off switch on the GPS.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#13 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:08 AM

Wow,
Area 45 looks like the place to be for 3rd & 4th rifle seasons !

Sadly I am haivng second thoughts about hunting unit 55 for 2nd rifle bulls and may change my mind and just hunt unit 45. I still have not got to see 55 other than fotos tho I plan a ride up thru there in the next two weeks if something else bad dont happen. I have a pc of prop I want to look at in 55 but just cant seem to get up there and its only three hours.

Came home Thurs nite to a flooded stinky basement from the tornado/storm on Sun. My window wells filled with water which then rushed in soaking 40 yrds of carpet and padding which my homeowners wont cover. My great basement den looks like a garage floor now. Oh well hunting season is coming it's time for life stuff to mess up. It happens to me every year. Was going to the 'Elk Camp in the City' thing I posted today, but I am still struggling with dampness and mold something that is not healthy for me.

is it SeptOber yet? ...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users