• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hunterva

Hunterva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

I am new to hunting for mule deer and antelope. I live in Virginia and would like to know if any states have over the counter tags for mule deer and antelope. Also, I am looking for places to hunt these species. Particularly interested in eastern Montana and Wyoming. Anyone know of private lands that do not cost a lot to hunt on?

Thanks

#2 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Wyomings application period is happening right now i believe. For antelope you shuold be able to draw for mule deer Ive heard most out of staters draw every other year. you can also check their website and see when the tags are available over the counter. Utahs application period is from feb 1st to march 1st. You will be able to get a out of state deer tag pretty easily and there is lots of public ground to hunt. you can also try to pay a landowner to allow you to hunt his property. Bring a good pair of field glasses with you if you hunt out here though!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

I have hunted mule deer in New Mexico but that also is a draw for the permits. My Daughter used to live there and my son-in-law and I hunted for 4 years on public land before we got bucks. Our first hunt was a prized area but we could only use muzzleloaders and all we had at the time was flintlocks and saw some really huge mulys but not at muzzleloader range. I did finally get a muly but it was a dink buck. I did see mule deer does on a Colorado Elk hunt. Friends of mine went to Wyoming this past year for antelope and all were successful and saw many head of lopes. Two of them frequent this site so I am sure Phil or JGabel could help you out. They also went to Colorado from WY and hunted mule deer.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

you shouldnt have a issue getting a antelope buck on public ground in wyoming, also a muley buck, i know alot of guys who go out there and get nice bucks on public ground. make sure you get a tag in a area that has public access though. Utah has good muley hunting but not alot of antelope. our general buck season this year will be 3 days longer than last year, at 8 days. oct 22-30 for general season.

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

Buck goats and buck deer are draw in WY and the draws are ending soon but can get a preference point in Sept. millions of acres of public land to hunt and a lot of hunters take advantage of this. you can get over the counter or left over does tags once season is started

Hiring a guide in WY to hunt public land is not recommended but some do to hunt private prime land

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users