• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

No not the animal. I am interested in a pair of snowshoes but have no idea what to buy. Around here snow can be calf deep but in Northern PA snow can be any depth from the ankle to the hips. Can I get one pair of snow shoes that would do me both places. I hunt in the fields and in the woods both places.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Paul, it's my understanding that snowshoe size is the most critical element and that sizes are based upon the weight of the user and not much else. (The heavier you are, the larger the snowshoe. The lighter you are, the smaller the snowshoe.) If you shop Cabelas.com, most of the snowshoes have a break down for you right there.

Don't forget a good set of snowshoe poles.(Or, buy a set or "kit" - shoes, poles, and usually a carry case - all at once.) There are probably some in the Bargain Cave by this time of year.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Jere I have been looking online and yes the shoes go by the weight of the wearer. Wonder if I could pretend to be about 250 and get the bigger ones. I actually weigh about 90 lbs less than that. Oh well I am still looking and any tips would be appreciated.

#4 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

I am sure there is stores up your way down in Montoursville there is Country Ski and Lyons they will not only sell you the equipment but give you advice as well.

#5 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

If you want to have fun in the woods in the winter where I live a good pair of snowshoes is a must. I have logged many miles on them in the winter woods.

The snowshoe depends on weight but also what kind of snow you have. Light and fluffy require wider, longer shoes. Trail walking shorter and narrower.

This is my third year on Yukon Charlie Snowshoes Trail Series 930. Inexpensive, but quality built. The bindings they come with are very easy to adjust. Bindings are as important as the shoe.

I currently have a snowshoe path starting in our back yard and coursing through our local woods. I like to go at night. It is good exercise for a guy who sits behind a desk all day.

http://www.overstock...53/product.html

Good luck in your quest.
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

Coalman thanks for the info but they are currently sold out. I will be patient as the price is right. I did see these in my search but as I said I knew next to nothing about snowshoes before my quest.

#7 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

That link had the best picture. I got mine at Walmart. I ordered them on-line and had them sent to the store. Took about a week.

I saw some 930's with webbing holding the base to the frame. Don't know if I like that style?? The solid covering like in the link work fine for me.

We are expecting another 8" tonight on top of our 2' base. I feel for our backyard birds. They have developed turkey trails like well worn deer run. They don't travel far in this type of snow. They like my snowshoe path.

Good luck.
Your eye in the northeast sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users