2 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

is the 38+p a good defense round for what i need it for? i'll be hiking soon here in kentucky. i'll most likely need it for 2 legged critters but may run across 4 legged one at times. around where i live coyoties are the most abundent and i expect them to leave me alone unless rabies hits here as it did some years back. there has been a few reports of bears but they are only reported about once or twice a year are are probably just passing thru. however some new creatures has been confirmed by the dept. of wildlife in my area, a mountain lion was confirmed about 60 miles from where i live this winter. the dept. said it to was pasiing thru as none live here but to be carefull if outside, and a wild hog was killed only 15 miles from where i live during deer season, i have a 357 magnum but i'm recoil sensitive, i can shoot them but would prefer a 38+p if they would work. thanks for any help

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Would you be planning on shooting the +p loads from your 357 if so that is ok but be very careful shooting them in an older model 38 spcl. I was counciled not to shoot the +p loads in my S&W detective spcl or my K model 38 as all it would do is loosen up a very good pair of handguns. You may want to think about loading a couple of 38 +ps and the rest 357s. If the need arises and you need more than two shots I am sure that you will not mind the recoil at that moment. The +p loads are somewhere between the 38 spcl load and the 357 my Lyman lists +p loads at only 60 or 70 FPS faster than the 38 spcl.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

I think my buddy Paul gave you some pretty good advice. There are handguns that will handle +P loads in moderation but it's not recomended to shoot a lot of +P loads through them. Unless a handgun is specificly rated to handle them I'd follow that guide line and not push my luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users