Blunders Afield

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

I know that I and most others here are nearly perfect when it comes to executing our outdoor plans, adventures, and pursuits. :rolleyes:
Certainly, none of us have ever actually made a mistake that led to a problem or near disaster. However, maybe, just maybe, we've had a few uncontrollable outside circumstances strike that may have caused problems on a given outing.

If so, why not share with the rest of the class? It's always fun to hear another outdoorsperson tell of their mis-adventures. In fact, not only can it be good for a laugh, but sometimes it can even provide a few tips on how not to go about doing something or even provide good reason to keep certain pieces of equipment or gear on our person any time we are afield. Still not enough incentive to share? How about best (or worst?) story gets a "goody pack". (I'm sure we've got a few cool items to send out.)

So, in the spirit of both levity and personal preparedness, I suppose, if anyone is brave enough to throw themselves to the wolves, this is your chance. I would love to start things off myself, but I've simply never had anything go wrong while hunting, fishing, or camping...:liar:
(Or is that I've simply had too many things go wrong to even recount them all? Oh yeah. :doh2: That's it. :lol: )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

Okay, yes, I'll start with a quick yarn. It was my first year bowhunting... Which was only my second year of hunting, period. I was 13 years old. So, I didn't even have my driver's license. I remember my father driving us to a new hunting area. I also remember how I was convinced that I was going to be able to just sneak up on deer with my super-stealth cat-like stalking abilities. ( :rolleyes: ) Yes, this bowhunting thing would be super easy for one as light-footed as yours truly. (Probably sounded like a whole herd of elephant all by myself. :doh2: ) The awesome part is that we saw several deer that day. I probably blew more shot opportunities on that one hunt than I would get total the remainder of the year. :lol: There was always something just not quite right about the scenario... in one instance I distinctly remember I had stopped, to take a break from all of the Native American super-stealth-stalking, don't you know, to sit on a log. No sooner did I sit my bow (which was a totally awesome hand-me-down Bear Whitetail Hunter, by the way) down than half a dozen white-tail doe came trotting right past me. They couldn't have been more than 15 yards away. Naturally, as soon as I made a move for the bow they were half way to the next county.

Basically, the entire experience was a huge lesson in humility. The dagger to the heart was upon deciding to call it quits for the day, however. My father and I reunited for the walk out. (Mind you, he had never been all that far away. As I would later learn, he was one of the main reasons I was seeing so many deer as he was circling through the surrounding brush to drive them out for me. And here I thought I simply had a literal animal magnetism. :doh2: ) As we were walking out, I was recounting the tale of tails - the gross amount of white-tail "flags" I saw waving at me that hunt - we heard something rustling behind us. We both turned to find that three or four doe were actually walking the same trail we were on... following us! Neither one of us made a move. We just stood there as these deer actually continued to get closer. They must have gotten to within 20 yards of us before realizing something was wrong and even then they just stood there. It was us staring at them and them staring at us for what felt like an eternity. (Likely only a few seconds.) About the time that I thought to myself, "Hey, I have a bow in my hand and that's what we're hunting!", the deer finally decided to bolt. My dad and I both pretty much decided that this entire experience was one best never to be spoken of again. :rofl:

And now you know how it all began. The humble beginnings of the Mighty Warrior.:archer:
:lol:
I know y'all can do much better than that!

sig_admin.png

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

I like your blunder, started a 13 years old also. My first year with a bow (jennings superT) that my Dad got me from my Uncle Chet that I used to hunt with almost all the time. Now as a kid both Pop and Uncle used to put me in their good spots, and I used to almost have shots at every outing (many times shot every arrow) :wacko:. Now at some point in that season I drew back on yet another doe and all I can remember is hearing a snap, the deer runs off and I look at my bow and the top limb had split form top to bottom. Now yes this could have turned into a real mess on my body. But what went through my mind was what the heck is Dad going to do to me when he finds out what I did, I thought I was going to get my rear end beat or a :bash: or :smackhead: but when we all got back together after the hunt my Uncle had a limb to fix it and he also said that does happen to bows so it was not my fault so that made me feel much better. :yes: I still have that bow but am scared to even pull it back. This is the only hunt or blunder I have to this point BUT I'm sure I can come up with more later.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

I was 14, 3rd year of rifle hunting, a grizzled veteran in my mind, with 1 buck already under my belt (when I was 13) and I was just itching to put another proverbial notch in my trusty 30.30s gunstock. Mid morning of opening day, a fork buck stepped out in front of me, no more than 30yds away. I slowly raised my gun, cocked it, and let her rip. I missed. From that point on, I was working that 30.30 like Lucas McCain on the Rifleman T.V. show, until the deer had run out of sight. I convinced myself of devine intervention as I reloaded my gun. Suddenly, the deer ran back towards me, I'm thinking a chance at redemption, at hunting immortality, 2nd buck in 3 years. I raise that gun again, and cut loose as the deer is approaching Warp speed as it passes me. 3 more times I fire, again the force field around that deer deflects my bullets. Not wanting to believe I had missed, and still pretty pumped up, I jumped to the ground, a distance of about 5 feet. As my feet hit the ground, the rifle again fired, striking the ground about 3 inches to the right of my right foot, was kinda hard to tell, but I was amazed at how big the "crater" looked. I had made a bad mistake, one that could have been so much worse (1 of many when I calmed down enough to think clearly). After my last shot, I automatically levered in another shell, forgetting to de-###### the gun. Learned that lesson, never repeated that mistake, and became a stickler on gun safety. That mistake still bothers me 41 years later, but I guess it is a good thing

#5 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

Back when I was young, and yes I was young once. I was hunting deer at our camp out beyond Snow Shoe. It was back before we had Gore-tex and waterproof boots I was walking down an old logging road it was wet but also frozen, there were clumps of grass and if you were careful to place your feet on the frozen grass clumps you could avoid getting wet feet. So I was watching the place to put my feet and not watching where I was going too much. Little did I know there was a nice buck traveling up the road doing the same thing I was. Watching where he was putting his feet so as to avoid getting wet feet. Imagine both of our surprise when we all but ran into each other on that old frozen road. Gun was on my sholder when I happened to look up and saw a nice buck at point blank range and he looks up and sees a hunter he about walked into. Well we both got wet feet he reared up turned and bolted and I droped my gun in the wet ground trying to get off a shot that never happened.:blink:

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

I can't really recall any real blunders, aside from the usual buck fever misses that I'm famous for in my hunting party.

One thing that happened this December while bowhunting could have become one incredible hunting story. It was a couple days before the end of archery season, and I wanted deperately to get a deer. The only real problem was that there was a good 2 feet of snow in many places and I figured that the deer wouldn't be moving much near my stand. So I drove around the country side, glassing from the road the places where I have permission to hunt, trying to find a deer, ANY DEER. Eventaully I spotted two does lying on the bank of a small crick, trying to stay out of the wind. There were probably 1/2 mile from the road. I pulled my truck off to the shoulder just out of sight of the deer, put my coat on, and gingerly got my bow out and shut the door. It was going to be another spot and stalk archery hunt, similar to the hunt where I shot my button buck the Christmas before. In fact, these deer were laying just 20 yards from where I shot that buck.

So I begin my long trek to get into range, sinking knee to thigh high into the snow with each step. (This is when I wished I would have asked for snowshoes for Christmas.) I used a fenceline running perpendicular to the deer's position to hide my movement and stopped every 20 yards or so to make sure there were still there through my binoculars, and to catch my breath. Eventually, I got within 40 yards of the deer and knelt down behind some brush. I waited there for 2 hours, hoping the deer would decide to move closer towards me. A snowmobile trail runs about a 1/2 mile from where I am sitting, on the other side of a field, and sleds are zooming past every 10-15 minutes or so, focusing the deers' attention to them and away from me.

About 15 minutes to sundown, the deer bolt. One runs away from me, but the other runs towards the snowmobile trail, stopping in the middle of the field. It sits there for a couple minutes looking around, when a group of sleds comes roaring down the trail. The snowmobilers see the deer and stop to admire the beauty of deer in the winter. Naturally, the deer takes off running away from the snowmobilers, and DIRECTLY AT ME! At this point I'm freaking out because the deer is making a beeline towards me, and I know I can't adjust my body to make the shot if it gives me an opportunity without scaring it away.

I sat perfectly still and tracked the deer coming towards me from the corner of my eye. When it got about 20 yards away it stopped, stomped its foot, and ran away.

After it was out of sight, I though to myself how great of a hunting story it would have been if I had shot that deer. Marching through the snow, kneeling for two hours, and having snowmobilers push a deer towards me-almost giving me a shot at a nice sized doe.

-Eric

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

I have only been hunting a short time so my blunder stories are few. In truth I have been hunting since 1955 and bow hunting since only several years after that. My blunders are many but all were survived.
I recall when I was in possibly my mid twentys and was still invincible I went hunting alone in rifle season. There was about 6 inches of snow on the ground and I only had a car at the time so I had to park at the top of the mountain and hiked all the way to the bottom near the crick that ran down the wooded valley. This mountain is not steep at all but was a series of benches all the way down. I had walked nearly a mile down till I got to the bottom. There are a number of hogback ridges that run down the mountain also and serve to confuse the uninitiated as to which way they are headed. Down at the lower portion of the mountain the trees are tall enough that it is hard to see the main mountain. Well I hunted till about mid afternoon and then it started to snow. The longer I hunted the snow became heavier and heavier. I finally decided to get out of there as it was really snowing hard by that time. I happened to be right beside the creek, the only one in that valley so I turned 90 degrees away from the creek and started walking. I walked quite a ways and thought to myself I by this time I should be coming to the uphill of the mountain. I took a few more steps and lo and behold I heard a creek. I walked over to it and sure enough there was the creek again.
I did recognize where I was and started off again with all the confidence of a seasoned veteran. This time I did not walk so far but came on the creek again. I even found someone elses tracks in the snow and they were wearing the exact same boots as I was.
Now I still held that I was going to get out of there this time. I had only walked about 50 yards or so and encountered several deer. Of course the hunt was on as I thought I saw antlers on one of them. I stepped back a little and hurridly tried to circle the deer to possibly get ahead of them. Well that worked about as well as my several attempts at walking to the top of the mountain. After several hundred yards of my circle I came upon the deers tracks so my plan did not work. Now I am not very sure where I am. I did finally backtrack my myself following tracks that were fast filling up with snow and I was getting a little wet from the falling snow.
As I walked back I came to a creek but it was running the wrong way!! Now I am experiencing the thrill of getting myself lost. I brushed the snow from a log and had me a little set down to think this out. Having fished this little stream I knew that it did not bend back on itself so I reasoned that in my haste to get ahead of those deer I had crossed the stream and did not realize it so I was standing on the other side of it and that is why it was running the wrong way.
I sat there for only a few moments realizing that I did not have a compass and only about a half hour of daylight remained. It was slowly sinking in that I was in a real pickle and I was the only one that was going to get myself out of it all. I then remembered something that we had taught the boy scouts on how to keep yourself going straight. With only a little fear and trepadation I started out again. This time I lined up several trees in the direction I wanted to go and walked to the first one and lined up a couple more.

You can only imagine my intense relief when I not only found the top of the mountain but had walked up to within 50 yds of my car.
I just sat for a few minutes in the car with the intense relief just washing over me time and again. Yes I did say a little prayer in thanks for my super guides help to keep me calm enough to think rationally and most possibly giving me the idea of getting out of there in the first place.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:27 AM

You should have gone NORTH!!!:rolleyes:

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

Woodhick I actually had to head in a northerly direction Lol.

#10 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Oh so many to choose from..... The most memorable would have to be one that alot of folks here already know and the one that earned me a trail name. LOL

It was a few years ago during E3 and I was excited about getting to attend my first ever Elkatraz! Those that know the story will tell you it was funny in retrospect, but it wasn't very funny to me at the time. I had succumbed to altitude sickness the day before, so we decided to do an afternoon hunt that day. I took off alone with a borrowed GPS unit, and headed up the mountian looking for elk. It started getting close to dark, and I hadn't seen anything so I figured it was time to head back. I found a way point in the GPS that was marked E3.... So I followed it... What I did not realize it was a waypoint that was not the camp. I found myself completely disoriented, and had no idea where I was. Then it happened just after dark, an elk bugling and a few cow calls. Then I heard a generator fire up and I could just make out the faint glow of a light in the distance, so I headed towards the light. I found out where I was and the gentlemen who where inhabiting the cabin offered to drive me back to camp. As we were headed back we ran into the E3 bunch who had come out searching for me as I had limited radio contact due to distance and terrain. Turns out I had somehow circumvented the mountain and ended up on the wrong side. And that is how I forever earned the trail name Scooby! LOL
Semper Fi

#11 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

Oh I remember that night well Terry, and as a matter of fact because of your little mishap, if you remember we all had to miss Beer and Pizza that night in Leadville all paid for. LOL.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#12 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

well since I just started bow hunting in 2000. haven't had any really bad mishaps. I did once get to my hunting area later than usual. In my haste to get into the stand . I left my release in the truck. So here I sit 16 ft up a tree with my bow and no release. So I have to make a decision. Stay in the stand or climb out of my stand and go get my release, or take my bow and wait to hunt later that day. So I check my watch . Daylight is just starting to break. I decided to get my release and sneak back into the stand. My stand is about 80 yards inside the woods. So I creep back out of the woods. Get half way across the field to the truck and there are 2 deer between me and the Truck. No bow and no release. So I have to sit there till they decide to leave the field or spook them. In which case I might as well go back and get the bow. I hunt 30 acres of woods with bean and corn fields on 3 sides. Well it seems luck is on my side and they walk out of the field . I worked my way to the truck and got my release. got back in my stand . Spent 3 hrs and No deer came my way.
From that day I keep an extra release in my waist pack. I also get there an hour before daylight.

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Here goes another one. A bunch of years ago I was having a real skunk problem around the house. Leading up to this incident I stepped out of the house at Oh dark thirty to go to a friends place to go bow hunting. We fed our cats on the 4' x6" concrete stoop at our back door. I did not want to turn the lights on so I stepped out of the back door in the dark and was about to scoot the cat off the porch with my foot when I realized it was a skunk.

That in itself was hair raising enough but as a result of that encounter I decided to lower the population. Several evenings later I grabbed my 22 and a flashlight and went on the prowl. I found one in only a couple of minutes but could not get it to leave the house. I pushed it around the house several times to the point when I hit it with the light it would whirl around and confront me. On about the third pass around the house it finally left but ran into my garden shed. Now I decided to turn off the light and stand there in the dark till it decided to leave the shed.

As I was standing there for about 5 minutes with the anticipation rising with each tick of the clock I saw it in the doorway and got ready. It ducked back into the shed and I had to stand there again. As I stood there expecting the skunk to show at any second I felt something rub my ankle. I do not know what the world record standing broad jump is but I am sure I at least equaled it at that moment. With my hair at this point standing on end I turned on the flashlight and there was our cat.

I did finally put the cat back in the house and the skunk did eventually come out of the shed and went to the field about 75 yds from the house and I got it. In all I got 9 skunks in the next several weeks and still did not get them all as one I saw but did not get a shot at was not seen again.

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

I was hoping to leave this open a bit longer to see if anyone else wants to enter.
But, I'm thinking by the end of this month (April) we're gonna pick a winner.

I think I saw some industrial size bottles of H.S. Scent-A-Way soap/shampoo, some Blazer vanes, and some other stuff in the HR stash to send out to the winner. :)

sig_admin.png

#15 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

I was hoping to leave this open a bit longer to see if anyone else wants to enter.
But, I'm thinking by the end of this month (April) we're gonna pick a winner.

I think I saw some industrial size bottles of H.S. Scent-A-Way soap/shampoo, some Blazer vanes, and some other stuff in the HR stash to send out to the winner. :)

and the winner is/was?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users