Blunders Afield

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

I think Jere mighta forgot about this one... LOL
Semper Fi

#17 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

I think Jere mighta forgot about this one... LOL

Nah... I had a second (or third) thought that since PA gobbler season is open 'til the end of this month that maybe someone might have something to add.
Unfortunately, I didn't post that updated date (been hunting myself) and it didn't quite work out anyway. (No more entries.) So, that is definitely my fault for holding up the works and I apologize to all involved.

So, without any further ado, we'd like to congratulate "mudduck" on his win.

This was, as usual, a tough call.

"PA RIDGE RUNNER" definitely earns runner-up. (I guess he's just a natural-born runner. But, I digress. :P )
He just has a way about his story telling. The first was kinda scary and the second was hilarious.
(I think we all need to chip in and get him a skunk skin cap. :lol: )

"woodhick" had me howling as I was envisioning a Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd kind of deal with him and the deer both practically walking hand-in-hand without even realizing it.

Honorable mention goes to both runNgun and PA RIDGE RUNNER for the usage of the word "crick".
(I've never seen anyone actually spell "creek" the way that most people I know say it. :D :thumbsup: )

In the end, I think the thing that put Jeff over the top is that he had the biggest actual "blunder", by definition. As he said, his mistake (blunder) could have actually been disastrous. Thankfully, it was not and is actually a very solid reminder to us all. I know lots of people who hunt with lever guns. Several of the older Marlins (like one of the .30-30's I have), for example, didn't have "half ######" hammer positions or a safety. So, bumping them around too much while loaded, in general, was/is definitely a bad idea.
Aside from that serious aspect, when you mentioned about working the rifle lever like a mad man, it made me remember back to when I was younger and used to hear stories of "great hunting veterans" working their rifle levers so fast in a fit of buck fever that they had actually forgotten completely to... PULL THE TRIGGER in between each rack. :roflmao:
(So, yes, you even earned points just for having a similarity with other funny stories. :P )

Good job, everybody. Let's do it again soon. :)
PM or e-mail me your mailing address and I'll get your pack sent out ASAP, Jeff.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#18 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

Congrats to Mudduck!
Semper Fi

#19 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

Wow, thank you! I don't know if it is a good thing to "win" for doing something dumb though,lol. Jeremiah, I have been around here for a long time, because I enjoy this site, and all the people here. I have often over the years, teased you about opening the vault in that warehouse of free stuff you must have in an upscale neighborhood in Pittsburgh. I very much appreciate the effort you and others put forth here, these little contests are great! So, rather than sending me anything, I would rather have you select a deserving young person in your area, and present them with whatever you choose, in the name of Hunting Resource and all its members, for just being a decent human being. Knowing it will surprise, and perhaps cause a smile, on a youngster, is enough for me. Thanks again for all you do, and the mods also!!!

#20 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

Congratulations to MudDuck and how he decided to make use of the prize. You da man Jeff.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#21 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

LOL..Scooby Do where are you? What a night! You're ok Terry!

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#22 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

Will, one of these days, I'll have to get back to the hills and run them a bit more..... I'll invest in a good GPS and make sure I program it well LOL..... The caveat is that I'll have to take my son... however, he's 3 now and every day since I mentioned it he is asking to "Go shoot deer" sooooooo I think he'll be up for Elk and Muleys as well LOL
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users