• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hi all, I'm a new member, wanted to say hi.
I love fishing, camping, soon will be hunting. Provided i pass the hunters' safety course. my daughter and I are taking it together. most is common sense, but then there is still alot to learn. I'm a pretty good shot, love the shooting practice. any advice you can offer to a new hunter..... I'm all ears.

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

You picked the right place if you want hunting advice. You won't find better, more experienced, and more willing to help members anywhere but here. If you have any specific questions about hunting be sure to ask.
-Eric

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Welcome aboard Shrapnal. Since you posted in the deer section I presume you are interested in hunting those elusive animals. First I would suggest you read up on deer and deer hunting. Since you mention shooting practice you must already own a firearm. What caliber is it. There are many suitable calibers for deer but there are some that are not to be used for deer hunting. Where do you plan to hunt? Some states have restrictions on what firearm you can use on deer. Getting your daughter involved in the shooting sport can be very exciting but I would start out with a very low recoil firearm and lots of ear protection. Keep the shooting sessions simple and fun. Most of all keep those sessions safe. If you have any specific questions, fire away, there are folks here that are well versed in archery, modern firearms and even black powder.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

Shrapnal welcome to the boards. As has already been stated, ask anything you want and chances are we have someone here that can answer it, be it a member, moderator, or the board admin/owner himself(Jeremiah) . We're a small tight-knit group that is always happy to welcome a new member to the fold. Invite as many people as you want. Ask all the questions you want, and search through the topics because chances are there is a post relavent to anything you might want to find out about.
Semper Fi

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

Welcome. Definitely stick around and ask as issues arise. It will probably go easier that way than us just throwing everything and the kitchen sink at you up front. :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

thx, will surely ask questions when i think of them. thx for the warm welcome. :)

#7 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

Welcome aboard Shrapnal. Since you posted in the deer section I presume you are interested in hunting those elusive animals. First I would suggest you read up on deer and deer hunting. Since you mention shooting practice you must already own a firearm. What caliber is it. There are many suitable calibers for deer but there are some that are not to be used for deer hunting. Where do you plan to hunt? Some states have restrictions on what firearm you can use on deer. Getting your daughter involved in the shooting sport can be very exciting but I would start out with a very low recoil firearm and lots of ear protection. Keep the shooting sessions simple and fun. Most of all keep those sessions safe. If you have any specific questions, fire away, there are folks here that are well versed in archery, modern firearms and even black powder.

thx, PA. I'll be hunting north central Saskatchewan. Whitetails are popular here. I've been out hunting quite a bit. Never carried a gun, though. That's why I'm in Hunter's Safety this year with my daughter.

#8 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

from what I've seen on my trips north, your in the best place in the world for some massive white tails :)
welcome to the forum. best tips...
find em
put them in your scope or bow site
don't forget to breath
squeeze :)

its almost that easy :)
the finding them part is what can be challenging ;)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#9 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

the finding them part is what can be challenging ;) by McBruce

From what I know, finding them is half the fun. :D the sad part for me will be squeezing the trigger, seems to mark the end of the fun. :ermm:

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Shrapnal after a fashion you are correct. Right after the kill is a great time for celebration, picture taking, and admiring the trophy. They are all trophies by the way the difference in size is only for braggards. I usually stop at about this time and give a prayer thanking Him for supplying this animal for my admiration and for the sustenance it will bring. Now is when the work begins. Field dressing is no way fun but absolutely necessary. Getting the animal to where it can be hauled home can be a chore also but aah the good feeling when it is done. You can then go back to the excitement.

#11 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Welcome as well from another Canuck. Nice to see you and your daughter will be sharing time afield. My son and I have shared a lot of good times in the woods irregardless of whether we put a tag on something or not. It's never been just the filling of the freezer for me, although that does have its merits sometimes. Hunting for me has never been just pulling the trigger or releasing an arrow. It's experiencing the entire adventure, and if it can be shared with family and friends, all the better. And you're right, the searching for your quarry is truly the challenging and fun part.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#12 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

thank you Geoff/TBow. i love being in the woods. it's so refreshing, just to get out and walk around.

#13 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:23 AM

To me the thrill is in the chase, the feeling of satisfaction is the harvest. You have achieved what you set out to do. At that point the work begins in field dressing and processing the meat. Around here we process our own wild game. This becomes almost a social event. Be it capping out to save for a mount, cutting up meat, packaging, or going a step farther and grinding our own burger, stuffing sausage, brats, snack sticks. The whole family and friends jump in and help. Its great seeing the kids each have a job to do to help, and when the snack sticks come out of the oven, the excitement of getting to try what they just got done helping make.

The time we spend processing is usually filled with a lot of laughter and joking around. The next part of the social event of the hunt, is the BBQ's or chili dinners. Its always special to get together with friends and spend time together socializing over a giant pot of elk chili or antelope kabobs.

The time in the forest/woods is always special time. Memories are made, bonds are formed, lessons are learned. I'll never forget the time I was able to spend with my grandfather as he taught me the art of hunting and fishing. Family coming together processing meat, the social events of the meals. House filled with family and friends...those are all good times. So for me, hunting goes far beyond just the hunt. The friendships that are formed via hunting, the family time together, the social events that follow. Its all a very special way of life, Pulling the trigger or releasing the arrow is just one small aspect of the entire experience.

Edited by McBruce, 09 March 2011 - 04:35 AM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

McBruce I was sure you were going to relate the story of how you introduced a PA flatlander to the joys of Colorado milk duds. P.S. my supply is getting low please send more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users