• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

hi all, just popping in to say "hey".

I love to fish, camp and soon will be hunting. I'm currently taking the Hunters' Safety Course with my daughter. Most of it, I find is common sense, but, I'm still learning alot. the last class we had was on survival. Interesting stuff. hope I never have to use it. We have also been shooting bows last couple classes. I'm a pretty good shot with the guns, but the bow is something I'd have to practice. i don't quite get the sights on a compound. either that or the bows we're shooting are off.

Any advice you can give a new hunter would be appreciated. Like what caliber you'd recommend for a female that wants to hunt everything from coyotes to moose.

Hope to chat and meet new members soon. :)

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

Shrapnal, one rifle you might consider if you're looking for something that flexible would probably be a lever action 30/30. It shoots flat, has a light recoil, and carries a good punch. Though you will probably get several varied opinions. The best thing to do is if feasable let her shoot several different calibers. I don't know how many shooters you know but if they're like alot of the people I know, they'll all be happy to welcome any new shooter they can get into the fold. Other possible calibers are the .270, and .243 though the 243 may be a little light for moose. A rifle with interchangeable barrels like the T/C Encore or the Rossi Trifecta are another option.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 22 February 2011 - 06:26 PM.

Semper Fi

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

Welcome to the site.

.257 Roberts, in my opinion. ;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

That venerable old 257 roberts that for many years was underloaded due to the type of rifle it came in. I do not own one but my daughter does and I have taken a mule deer with it and my son has taken several whitetails as well as my then 9 year old grandson shot a whitetail doe with it. My daughter shot an oryx which weighed over 400 lbs and took it at over 300 yds. The same is true of the previously mentioned 30/30. Infact Hornady has upped the ante considerably with its leverevelution ammo which shoots a bullet that previously could not be used in a lever action.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

thx, for all the advice. much appreciated. I have shot a 30/30. they are not bad. Never shot a 257, will ask around and see if anyone has one that we could try out. would be nice if you could shoot guns before you buy them. lol

Edited by Shrapnal, 06 March 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

Giving advice on a caliber of rifle that will do the job on everything from coyotes to moose is a pretty tall order. Moose is the sticking point as it is a very large animal and ethically requires a pretty large caliber to humanely take it. You being new to the sport and a female to boot and most likely being of a slighter stature than the average male hunter may not be as recoil resistant. All firearms have recoil. Recoil is part of newtons law. Rifles that only shoot tiny bullets have little recoil and rifles that shoot great big bullets have a great deal of recoil. The 30/30 rifle has a moderate amount of recoil as does the 257 rbts. But something like a 300 Winchester Mag will impart an attention getting amount of recoil. I am an old guy that has shot a whole bunch of calibers up to the 375 H &H which is what someone would use on dangerous game in africa. Yep that puppy lets you know you have shot it. I can't wait to get a shot from the 50 BMG and would have except for the fact that I had cataract surgery only a couple of weeks previous and did not want to affect that in any way.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users