• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

I don't understand. is the governors' tag good for something that an ordinary tag isn't? besides emptying your pocket book, do they give you an outfitter with it?

i wouldn't spend $55.000 on a tag unless it was sending me all exclusive to africa or something.

and one more thing.... how the heck do you know where you should posting stuff? there are so many different categories. I just want to post something that everyone has a chance to see and reply.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

and one more thing.... how the heck do you know where you should posting stuff? there are so many different categories. I just want to post something that everyone has a chance to see and reply.

Your question is, I'd say, a general hunting question. (It isn't specific to hunting any one species or with any one weapon.) So, I'd say you found the right spot here in the main "Hunting" area.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

thx, jeremiah, that's one of my questions answered. :)

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

I've never heard of a governor's tag. Is there some type of animal in your area that an extremely small amount of tags are sold each year? I can see a trophy hunter with extremely deep pockets paying that kind of money for a chance at a once in a lifetime animal.
-Eric

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

Governors Tags. Here in the states many, infact most big game hunting is by a draw method. Meaning that you cannot just go buy a certain tag over the counter. There are a limiting number of tags available and in many states the competition is very keen for those tags. This is where Governors tags come in. The governor is granted a certain number of these tags each year. The common practice is to give a couple of these tags to worthwhile non profit associations where they are auctioned off to the highest bidder. They usually go to someone with very deep pockets giving them some degree of celebrety status to that organization. Buying a governors tag assures you will be able to hunt that specific species that year rather than taking your chances in drawing a tag. Of course most of us cannot afford to buy one of those governors tags as they tend to go for exhorbitant prices. I am sure that I have only touched the surface of Governors tags and others will chime in to fill the rest of the story.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

To add to what PA said.

Governors tags are also often good for every gamezone in the state. Some species and gamezones have very low odds of getting a tag drawn by lottery. In other words you may apply every year for 25 years and never get a legal tag for the species or zone you applied for.

BTW, you can do the Africa thing for almost 1/10 of what governor's tags go for and hunt a lot more than one animal. :)

Edited by Leo, 23 February 2011 - 04:55 PM.

Posted Image

#7 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:12 AM

Here in az the gov tag, allows you to hunt any unit, all year till you tag out , for that speices, (ie elk, antlope, deer) you can use any weapon at any time,

example, if I were to get the govs deer tag, I could hunt strip with out haveing to get drawn,

If I had the elk tag, I could hunt the big bulls in the middle of the rut,

I would also have all year to get that tag filled allows you to be very selective in what size animal you will take

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users