• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

I finally got a few minutes and a decent day and used my new bore sighter on my 50 cal inline muzzleloader. Today was very bright sunshine and only about 35 degrees. I set up at 25 yds and had no problem at all seeing the laser spot either with the naked eye or through the scope. In only a couple of minutes I had the cross hairs on the dot a little high. Using a bore sighter is so much easier than looking through the bore and aligning on an aiming spot and then without moving the rig and going through it all again and again everytime you move your rig even the tiniest. With the laser bore sighter you can move the rifle but the laser also moves with the rifle and remains constant with the cross hairs. A disadvantage is in bright sunlight at 50 yds the laser spot is not very visable but the instructions mention this so I expected it. I have not shot the rifle as the temp was only about 35 and most of my inline hunting is in much warmer weather.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:22 AM

Paul, cool, let us know how close you are to the bull when you get to shoot it.
Semper Fi

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

Best of luck bud! :)

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

Sure will I also intend to use the bore sighter again once I get the rifle spot on to see if next time I need to bore sight any differently.

#5 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

I know this is probably a dumb question, but seeing as how this place isn't that busy, I thought a dumb question is better then no question at all.

what is a bore sighter? I understand it's a laser, is it attached to your barrel? is it used for aiming? I feel like a blonde but it I can get a scope with a laser on it, that'd be cool. i have a hard time using a scope. everything tends to go black and then I loose what I'm looking at.

you mentioned muzzzelloader, is it something just for them?

Edited by Shrapnal, 07 March 2011 - 08:52 AM.

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

I know this is probably a dumb question, but seeing as how this place isn't that busy, I thought a dumb question is better then no question at all.

what is a bore sighter? I understand it's a laser, is it attached to your barrel? is it used for aiming? I feel like a blonde but it I can get a scope with a laser on it, that'd be cool. i have a hard time using a scope. everything tends to go black and then I loose what I'm looking at.

you mentioned muzzzelloader, is it something just for them?

Boresighters are used to help you get a good starting point for your scope before you sight the gun in. In other words it gets your first shot on the paper so it's easier to make the adjustments on the scope at the range.

You never ever use a boresighter to actually aim to shoot. Any obstruction in the gun barrel can cause it to explode.

Sounds like the scopes you have used don't have very forgiving eye reliefs on them. Some scopes are much easier to look through than others. This is one (but not the only) reason some scopes are much more expensive than others.
Posted Image

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

Shrapnal that is absolutely not a dumb question. First of all when a person first mounts a scope on a rifle they have no idea where it is pointed at in relation to the rifle bore. If the rifle can be disassembled far enough to be able to look through the rifle bore such as with a bolt action rifle then the rifle can be positioned toward a nearby target and the aiming spot on the target can be aligned with the aiming spot in the center of the bore as you look through it. Then without touching or moving the rifle even the least bit you can look through the scope sight and see where the cross hairs are in relation to the aiming spot and adjust the scope cross hairs to the aiming spot. This has to be done without moving the rifle or it will be off.

Now enter the bore sighter. Mine is a laser bore sighter meaning it projects a laser beam. It sort of looks like a fat ball point pen with a stem sticking out the back. At the end of the stem is a threaded hole that you screw an expandable attachment in till it fits your caliber of bore. You then be sure that the rifle is UNLOADED and slip the stem all the way into the front of the rifle bore till it goes no further. Then turn on the laser. Since it is aligned with the rifle bore the laser spot on the target is where the rifle bore is aimed. Then you go to the rifle scope and move the crosshairs to the laser spot and you are done bore sighting. Remove the bore sighter and load the rifle and shoot a shot to confirm that the scope is adjusted properly. Most times bore sighting will at least get the first shot on the target somewhere and must be fine tuned by shooting until you can hit the bullseye at the distance you want to sight in at (usually 100 yds).

The bore sighter can be used on just about any rifle from 22 caliber to 50 caliber and I have attachments for mine that will allow to bore sight even 12 and 20 guage shotguns so it is very versital.

The bore sighter is really just a tool to align the rifle bore to the sights. If the rifle cannot be taken down to the point where you can look through the bore such as a lever action or a muzzleloader that does not have a removable breech this type of bore sighter is a godsend to get your first shot on the paper. Clear as Mud huh!!!! Thank you for your question.

I have had a lot of experience with rifles, bows, muzzleloaders and even some limited experience with crossbows since I started hunting in 1955. I welcome your questions.

#8 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

that sounds like a very handy piece of equipment. can save alot of time and money. thank you for your explaination. There's so much to learn, and it's all very interesting.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

We experienced hunter/shooters sometimes forget that not only experienced people read what we post but people that are just getting started also peruse our words. Please ask away as we here who have some experience are very willing to share with those new people. My biggest problem is translating into Saskatchawoneze. Just kidding.

I have sighted in many many rifles and handguns and this is the first I have used a laser bore sighter so I am a little like a child with a new toy.

I did shoot that rifle the other day and after bore sighting at 25 yds I shot at 50 yds and the first shot was about 4 inches high and about 3 inches to the left but well on the paper and easily adjusted to correct that. The bore sighter saves both time and money as usually only one or two shots are needed to get you spot on target.

I did realize that I did not do something that I should have and that is to turn the bore sighter while it is still in the bore to see if the point of aim (the laser spot) moves any when turned or spun inside the bore. I can do that now that I have the rifle sighted in at 50 yds.

The big problem with just looking through the bore and aligning it to a spot on the target and then trying to adjust the scope to the spot that the bore is aligned with is as soon as you touch the scope there is the possibility of moving the entire rifle and having to go back to square one several times till both the bore and the sight are aligned to the same spot. With the bore sighter it really does not matter if the rifle moves or not as the laser spot on the target moves too and you can just align to the laser spot no matter where it may move to . It is a fun toy to play with and I have at least two more rifles to sight in.

#10 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

Shrapnal just for a little more clarification, there are a few different kinds of laser bore sighters. Some are chamber load such as these:
Posted Image

And some are muzzle mount like this one:
Posted Image

Both have advantages and disadvantages. With the chamber loaders the alignment is automatic, but you can end up having to have one for each specific caliber, and I'm sure there is more than one caliber out there that they don't make one for. With the muzzle mount the alignment can be tricky if you don't watch it carefully as Paul said earlier but they tend to be universal the one I had I could use on anything from a .177 to my .50 cal muzzleloader.

Semper Fi

#11 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

the chamber load ones look pretty cool, but, yeah, probably pricey if you have more then one gun. thx for the pics, terry.

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

Shrapnel My bore sighter looks just like the second one that Terry shows in his post. There are other ones too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users