• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

After completeing my hunters' safety course. I'm going to go for my possession and aquisition licence. I'm really looking forward to buying my own gun. Question is........ for females.......... what kind of gun do you shoot? pros and cons about it. I'm looking for something that feels comfortable, not too heavy, as i will be walking alot with it. not too worried about the recoil as most guns today have a built in pad to absorb most of it.

will make more posts if this one gets answered. also will be waiting in chat if anyone wants to talk hunting among shooting the breeze. pun intended. lol

#2 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

I was shooting my husband's 270 when he bought me a youth rifle (243). it shoots as farr as the 270 but is much lighter - we have tried several bullets (we reload our own) . The advantage to a youth rifle is that it has a shorter barrel - hunting from a tree stand I can manouver it around branches if necessary. I don't know what kind of terrain you are hunting in but be sure to check both your rifle & bulltet. Also be sure to get a good sling !

I picked up his 7mm08 this year & liked it too but I was hunting from the ground.

#3 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

thx for your reply. I'm thinking about getting a 270. they sound like a good gun, with good accuracy. My husband also have a 7mm. I liked shooting it, but I find it's uncomfortable to hold. a little long. I will definately look into a youth rifle. sounds like it would be more practical for myself. I will be doing some coyote hunting when the snow melts, as well as deer hunting when the season comes around. Bear looks like will be in the cards for spring. I'm excited to get my own gun. just want to get the right one that I can use for years. I also like to do some plinking and am thinking of getting a semi-auto 22.

gonna go down to the gun shop today to feel out the guns and give myself a better idea of sizes and weights.

#4 WRBH

WRBH

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:hunting,trapping,fishing,camping and life in general

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

I swear by my .243 although my rifle was a remington model 700 so I had to trade out the walker trigger system with an after market timney trigger. Only thing I would recommend is whatever you get do not get a 700 in any size unless you make sure it does not have the walker trigger. Mine misfired when I flipped the safety off, ricocheted off a chunk of metal and hit barn near my mother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users