• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

okay, I'm guessing I was the only one to miss this concept.... It surprised me to learn that, for example, you go out fishing and catch your legal limit for the day, clean up all the fish, bag them and stick them in the freezer, you can't go out the next day and catch your limit again. I thought maybe you would be allowed to stock the freezer. Not that anyone would go to your house to look in your freezer if they see you have your daily limit on you. At least, I would hope they wouldn't be able to.

is this the same everywhere or is it just here?

#2 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:26 AM

Generally, most provinces, territories and state game / fish laws allow for a day's bag limit in possession, while allowing you to hunt / fish (on a day other than the day you've taken one bag limit already) for another bag limit on another day. As I haven't read all north american game / fish regulations, it's always best, and recommended, to check on each region's regulations to be safe prior to going afield.

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

I have been to Canada fishing on more than a few occasions. Many times to Ontario and once to Quebec' . My friends that I was with had been there many times more than I and had some stories of just what we are discussing. Apparently from what I was told over and over the law reads you can only have one days limit period. Even if you were in a remote camp and depended on fish to eat you could not have more than one days limit. I was told that even if you had the limit of fish in filets in the freezer and a bite of the same fish in your mouth you could be arrested if caught. We would many times bring back fish and replace the smaller filets with a bigger one and eat the smaller one. If confronted at that moment I was told we would be possibly arrested and the fines are pretty stiff for over the limit. Most of the time the law enforcement officers would not come to your cabin but wait on the only road out of there and check you there. My friends were stopped on the beltway around Toronto on a hot day and forced to display their filets in the hot sun for well over an hour till they were checked and all the filets were no longer edible. Talk about some unhappy fishermen.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 15 March 2011 - 12:58 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

no doubt, PA. that would totally make me mad. I think that's a dumb law. I love eating fish, You should be able to load your freezer with as much fish as you can. I would eat it all year long. Conservation officers are almost worse then cops. I heard a story the other night about a guy who had been out in the woods hunting, when he got back to his truck a conservation officer was there waiting for him. He asked the usual questions, hunting licence and habitat. When the hunter set his gun up against the truck to dig into his back pocket, the officer picked up his gun and checked to see if it was loaded. unfortunately it was, the safety was on, but that didn't matter. the hunter got a ticket, just because he rested the gun against the truck and it was loaded. goes with the law that you can't use a vehicle to hunt off, I guess. rediculous, I say.

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

To the best of my knowledge TX and AR only have daily bag limits..... There are possesion limits which are twice the daily bag limit, but they don't give a clear description in either book....
Semper Fi

#6 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

that sounds like a smarter idea, having a possesion limit. should be like a weeks worth of daily limits.

#7 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

I just went onto the Ontario Ministy of Natural Resources website to check on Ontario's possession / bag limits for both fishing and hunting. It varies quite a bit.

In Ontario for fishing, PA was quite right about possession limits for fish. You are only allowed one day's limit in possession. That being said, there are various bag limits for fish and depends on the spiecies caught and the type of license you have. Some fish have no bag limit and you can catch and possess as many as you want. Other fish bag limits are dependent upon the spieves caught and the type of license you have puchased. There are two types of fishing licenses, a Conservation License allowing a smaller bag limits and a Sporting License which allows for a couple or few extra fish per day. And once you have caught and possess your limit in one spieces, that's not to say that you can't catch and possess your limit in a different spieces, but be sure to ensure that the possessed fish can be identified when inspected.

For hunting it's quite a bit different. If you're hunting animals or birds (ie:turkeys) deemed "big game" that require an attached tag, then you are only allowed the number of animals for which you have valid tags. If you're hunting with a group for big game such as whitetailed deer, any hunter in the group may shoot the total number of deer for which the group has valid tags. All hunters must be able to communicate with each other in some fashion to ensure additional deer are not shot by mistake that will exceed the group's tag numbers. Bear in mind that I'm only referring to Ontario for group hunting regulations. It may not exist or vary in other provinces, territories or states.

For bear, you can only shoot one bear per tag, but, you can buy as many tags as you wish....I think, in Ontario! Shoot a bear, go buy another tag and so on.

For small game, there are various daily bag limits and possession limits. Depends on the spiecies of bird or small game. For some spiecies, the daily bag limit is the total posseiion limit. For other spiecies, the possession limit can be 2 or 3 times the daily bag limit.

You have to ensure that you read or check with the regional game / fish regulations first.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users