2 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

Posted Image

Today was too nice not to shoot, but the snow was nasty. Before I could walk on the crust somewhat, but with the warm spell it was sink city. Every step was down in the snow past you knee. So I went only to the edge of the back yard this time and that is 35 yards.

I decided that since it was that close of a target I would shoot something traditional and open sights. I decided to shoot a Traditions Woodsman Hawkins.

Rifle: Traditions Woodsman Hawkins percussion lock 1-66 twist open adjustable sights.

Powder: Goex 2f

Primers: RWS 1075

Projectile: Lee mold .490 pure lead home cast roundball

Weather: 45 (hooray no jacket needed!!) overcast and calm

I got out to the shooting table and like always forgot a lot of stuff. I forgot the see through powder measure in the house. Being too lazy to go after it I took a brass hunting measure out. It was one of them you pull upward and each notch is supposed to be 10 grains.

Well I wanted to shoot 75 grains for starters and see how this shot. So I shot off three with that powder charge. I was shooting home cast roundball and moose milk pillow tick patches. I was surprised they were hitting so low. So I jumped the charge to 85 grains of powder and shot three more. Again, still low.

I had forgot to take my notes on this rifle with me, and I thought this was a 85 grain rifle. But I decided to go upward in the powder charge. So I pulled to what I thought was 95 grains of powder and shot several roundball. The group was good and so was the POI. So since I had to go in the house for more coffee.. I brought back the see through powder measure. Imagine my surprise when I poured a brass open measure into the see through measure and it read 105 grains of powder. I had noticed the crack of the rifle was good and powerful, but the recoil was nothing special IMO.

This little rifle with the slow twist is an amazing roundball rifle. I later checked my notes and it says 90 grains of powder for this rifle. It now also says.. up to 105 grains of 2f Goex.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

I have always heard that you could shove a round ball pretty fast from a slow twist rifle. Man you just proved that point intentional or not. That Traditions sure lays them in there. Thanks for the update.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

That's a great mistake to have EH. lol
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users