• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Eric and I went out back of my house this evening and saw 14 turkeys then the deer started coming out. In all there were 8 deer and a pair of matching sheds. Except they were still attached to the buck. I can't believe it that a buck this late is still wearing his antlers. No wonder we don't find many sheds the durn things never fall off.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Eric and I went out back of my house this evening and saw 14 turkeys then the deer started coming out. In all there were 8 deer and a pair of matching sheds. Except they were still attached to the buck. I can't believe it that a buck this late is still wearing his antlers. No wonder we don't find many sheds the durn things never fall off.

While on patrol two nights ago Jason had a group of deer run across the road in front of him. Two were bucks that still had their horns. Yep, kinda strange.

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

A possible explanation. Early born fawns, and Does that were not bred during the first heat, will come into heat again in mid December ( for the Does, about 28 days after the first heat) Bucks will keep their testosterone levels high until sometime after the second session, thus keeping their antlers longer into the spring (dominant breeding bucks, the less dominant ones will lose theirs sooner). most fawns are born mid May to the first part of june, the fawns of those deer bred in mid-late December will show up in July, those are usually the ones that will still show spots during the November gun season, and be a lot smaller than the ones born in may. I ve seen this around here, but not every year, And I usually notice it when the buck-doe ratio was kinda out of whack. Anyway, the later a buck keeps breeding, the longer his testosterone levels stay elevated, means the longer he keeps his antlers. This made sense to me, I suppose there could be other explanations though

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

I'm going out on 4/6 to look & also set up the trail cams.

#5 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

A possible explanation. Early born fawns, and Does that were not bred during the first heat, will come into heat again in mid December ( for the Does, about 28 days after the first heat) Bucks will keep their testosterone levels high until sometime after the second session, thus keeping their antlers longer into the spring (dominant breeding bucks, the less dominant ones will lose theirs sooner). most fawns are born mid May to the first part of june, the fawns of those deer bred in mid-late December will show up in July, those are usually the ones that will still show spots during the November gun season, and be a lot smaller than the ones born in may. I ve seen this around here, but not every year, And I usually notice it when the buck-doe ratio was kinda out of whack. Anyway, the later a buck keeps breeding, the longer his testosterone levels stay elevated, means the longer he keeps his antlers. This made sense to me, I suppose there could be other explanations though

I'll buy that, it sounds like a good explanation to me. . lol

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

I am with you shrapnal you just can't argue with testosterone. Lol
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users